April 11, 2016

All the Awesome Books I'm Reading (Fair Warning: There's a BUNCH) 4.11.16


I have been chipping away at my 5-month reading slump and I'm reading more with each week. I'm so happy to be spending so much time between the pages of books again!  I can't even tell you.

What??  You don't sing a love song to your books?
I finished reading 2 books and a short story/novella, and dropped five that just weren't doing it for me.  No matter how much I wanted to like them, for various reasons I could not.  I'm still in the midst of dozens of books like I was a month ago.  It's the most books I've ever had going - even for me it is a lot. I mean just the number of fiction books is a lot, but I also have nonfiction.  Because CRAZY BOOKAHOLIC.  But I am reading, and that is the most important aspect. I've read over 1,300 pages in three weeks. Yay!

I read a BUNCH of different kinds of books (in addition to the SHEER NUMBER), so you will definitely find at least one that you connect with below.  Tell me about it in the comments!  I'd love to hear from you!




TITLE/AUTHOR: Compulsion (Heirs of Watson Island #1) by Martina Boone
SOURCE: Author
# OF PAGES: 464
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 134
RATING: 4 STARS

TITLE/AUTHOR: Saga, Volume 3 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples
SOURCE: Library
# OF PAGES: 144
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 74
RATING: 4 STARS

TITLE/AUTHOR: Burning Girls by Veronica Schanoes
SOURCE:TBR
# OF PAGES: 48
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 48
RATING: 3 STARS

**Note that I haven't updated this since 3/21 so this is what I've read in the past 3 weeks, not just this past week, even though that is what it will say below.**


SOURCE: Net Galley
# OF PAGES: 464
READ: 29-40%
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 51
CURRENT THOUGHTS: I go back and forth between absolutely loving this and not being sure about it. I think, though, this trip will make things interesting. I think we will find out a lot of secrets.


SOURCE: Book Club
# OF PAGES: 258
ON PAGE: 144
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 86
CURRENT THOUGHTS: Is she ever going to tell them about being pregnant?!? 
(Don't worry, NOT A SPOILER. It's in the book summary.)
 

SOURCE: TBR Pile
# OF PAGES: 567
ON PAGE: 267
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 129
CURRENT THOUGHTS: I love Liesel and Max's interactions!
 

SOURCE: Net Galley
# OF PAGES: 336
READ: 0-41%
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 137
CURRENT THOUGHTS: I easily get lost in this story.  Great commentary on race, too.
 

SOURCE: Edelweiss
# OF PAGES: 384
READ:  41%
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 23
CURRENT THOUGHTS: Honestly, I have debated dropping this book, too.  I want to like it.  I want to like it so much.  I mean, a move to Paris!  Where she has a history!  But she's not interesting. She's dull as dishwater. I am waiting for the part where she has some kind of epiphany or turning point but I'm guessing it comes quite late in the story.  I'm at 41% and she is still adjusting to being a human or something.  I don't get her.  Has anyone read this?  Explain Genevieve to me.


SOURCE: TBR Pile
# OF PAGES: 374
ON PAGE: 156
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 78
CURRENT THOUGHTS: I am getting through this with the help of the Ethan Hawke movie.  I am reading a bit and then watching that section of the movie.  It helps clarify things for me.  I know that's not very purist of me, but I gots to do what I gots to do.


 TITLE/AUTHOR: Bohemian Gospel by Dana Chamblee Carpenter
SOURCE: Publisher
# OF PAGES: 400
ON PAGE: 61
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 61
CURRENT THOUGHTS: I'm in love with this story. I know I have 340 pages to go, but I already don't want it to end!
 
  TITLE/AUTHOR: Cambodia Noir by Nicholas Seeley
SOURCE: Net Galley
# OF PAGES: 352
READ: 0-10%

PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 35
CURRENT THOUGHTS: Really good so far! I love the writing style, and it's action and mystery and danger right from the beginning.  I also love all of the culture of Phnom Penh interspersed in with the story.

 TITLE/AUTHOR: Ten Poems to Change Your Life by Roger Housden
SOURCE: Library
# OF PAGES: 144
ON PAGE: 23
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 23
CURRENT THOUGHTS: I've been wanting to read this forever so I picked it up for National Poetry Month.  I've only read the first poem and Housden's own reflection on it, but I was moved.

  TITLE/AUTHOR: Poems by Maya Angelou
SOURCE: Library
# OF PAGES: 224
ON PAGE: 25
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 25
CURRENT THOUGHTS: If you don't know this about me, Angelou is probably my favorite poet.  She just speaks to me.  I read this collection back in 2008, but I decided it was high time for a re-read.  It is National Poetry Month, after all.  I wish I had made notes the first time I read it so I could now compare my reactions to the ones I had 8 years ago.  Alas, it was the year BEFORE I started blogging.

TITLE/AUTHOR: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
SOURCE: Library
# OF PAGES: 652
ON PAGE: 105
# OF PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 105
CURRENT THOUGHTS: It is the same thought I had when reading the first 5 books, I CAN'T GET ENOUGH.  And yes, this is my first reading so I'm that much more excited.



TITLE/AUTHOR: Snow by Orhan Pamuk
SOURCE: TBR Pile, Book Club Read
# OF PAGES: 463
ON PAGE: 87
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 87
CURRENT THOUGHTS: I am reading this for Travel the World in Books' April Nobels Month.  Guiltless Reader came up with the idea and I love it.  I picked this book because I already had it and needed to read it already and this was the perfect excuse!  Pamuk won the Nobel for Lit in 2006.  

Now, so far this book is pretty great. I get a real sense of place, like I'm actually in Kars, Turkey, in the middle of a blizzard.  The book isn't a quick read, but that's okay.  I'm not sure if it is Pamuk's writing or the translation, but there is often repetition in the dialogue. The rest of the prose is fairly elegant, almost poetic in places.



SOURCE: Edelweiss
# OF PAGES: 288
READ: 17-36%
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 55
CURRENT THOUGHTS: It's really a fascinating story. It's like what you wished would have happened with the Library of Alexandria.


TITLE/AUTHOR: Life from Scratch: A Memoir of Food, Family, and Forgiveness by Sasha Martin
SOURCE: TBR Pile
# OF PAGES: 353
ON PAGE: 103
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 56
CURRENT THOUGHTS: I can't help but like Sasha as a person.  I also enjoy the way the recipes are right there in the midst of the text.
 

SOURCE: Net Galley
# OF PAGES: 240
READ: 21-31%
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 24
CURRENT THOUGHTS: I am not feeling the need to devour this book. I want to take time to reflect on what is said and how I feel about it for a while. I read a chapter at a time.


SOURCE: Newly bought
# OF PAGES: 224
ON PAGE: 112
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 42
CURRENT THOUGHTS: The great thing about this little book is that it inspires me to make art and not worry about the outcome, just the process.  I recommend it for anyone who enjoys creating.


SOURCE: TBR Pile
# OF PAGES: 338
ON PAGE: 58
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 20
CURRENT THOUGHTS: I keep stopping to look things up or write things down.

 TITLE/AUTHOR: Mirror for Humanity: A Concise Intro to Cultural Anthropology by Conrad Phillip Kottak
SOURCE: TBR Pile
# OF PAGES: 285
ON PAGE: 26
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 14
CURRENT THOUGHTS: This is a textbook that I got from a used book store. I love it, but it is info dense, of course.
  

SOURCE: Author
# OF PAGES: 496
ON PAGE: 193
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 44
CURRENT THOUGHTS: She has really done her research. This book is a gold mine of information, collected in a thoughtful and easy-to-digest manner.
 



TITLE/AUTHOR: The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu
SOURCE: TBR Pile/Gift from Friend
# OF PAGES: 1182
ON PAGE: 81
PAGES READ THIS WEEK: 36
CURRENT THOUGHTS: Thirty pages in this book is like 60 in a regular book. Only 1000 pages to go!!

DNF:


I haven't really been keeping up with my stats this calendar year, but I'm going to include the total page numbers read this week for when I eventually do end up doing something with my stats.

TOTAL PAGES READ SINCE 3/21: 1,387
# OF BOOKS READ IN 2016: 16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!