March 23, 2016

A Day in the Life 2016

The first thing I need to say is that I went back Saturday and read what a Day in my Life looked like this time last year.  What a difference one year makes!  My life has improved so much.  There are still issues, as I am still disabled, but I am SO far improved that it blew my mind.  Here is what my life looked like last year.

I wake up at 9:30am.  Yesterday, I went to the gym with my boyfriend and the day before that I had Physical Therapy and I am a bit, well, worn the heck out.  I take a hot shower, which always makes me feel better. Thank goodness, too, because I have lots to do.

10am - Grab my Go Bag for Physical Therapy (I go twice a week) and a water.  On the way to PT, I swing by the Post Office to mail a package to my sister and niece in L.A. and the next book club book to Wendy of Musings of a Bookish Kitty.  Someone entered right before me with 8 packages so it takes a while. Usually I hate standing in line because standing still hurts my back a lot, but I actually do really well.  I can't distract myself with my phone because of holding the packages, but I sing songs in my head.  I probably bop my head or something and look like an escaped mental patient, but whatever.  I don't know these people.

10:30am - On the way to Physical Therapy.  I call my boyfriend on the way and we gab, as we do.  I'm lucky he is a driver and I can talk to him during the day while he is at work.

10:50am - Get to PT and change into swimsuit.  It's pool time.  It's a heated pool, which helps so much.  I love it with all my heart.  This pool has changed my life.  It has helped me make progress that I couldn't make on land.  The heated water helps my fibromyalgia-laden muscles from seizing up.  I don't go for fibro, though.  I go because I have a fallen vertebrae in my lower back as the disc is completely gone.  It has taken a long time to be able to build muscle up in my lower back to offset it because, well, vertebrae on top of each other do NOT feel good.  At all.

My physical therapy pool. Yes, that's a treadmill in the pool.
So here's my PT workout plan:
3 minutes forward walking on the treadmill
3 minutes backward walking on the treadmill
3 minutes sideways walking the length of the pool to the step (there is a step up wherever you see long black tile lines)
Then I do squats, lunges, superman flys into crunches, bicycles forward and backward, 20 kicks in each direction, swimming kicks holding on to side of pool, step-ups, calf raises, hip rotations that look like ballet moves, wall squats I hold for 10 seconds each, and then balancing exercises.

This is all within 30 minutes.  YEAH I KNOW.  Needless to say, it's way more exhausting than going to the gym. lol

After the workout, I rinse off in the locker room shower, change clothes, and lay on heat and ice (heat on back, ice on both hips and knee.  My knee got messed up in July during a car accident, but it's nearly normal now) for 10 minutes.

12pm:  I go wash my car.  It has needed a bath since like July but every time I am going to go it's going to rain or something. Today it is gorgeous and will be for the rest of the week so game on.

My Civic getting it's bath on.
12:30pm - I've picked up some lunch (a grilled chicken sandwich with pickles cause yum pickles) and I rest at home for a bit, turn on Netflix, and watch one of the scariest shows ever:

Is anyone NOT scared by Criminal Minds?!?
1:30pm - Start a load of laundry, watch another Criminal Minds.
2:30pm - Head out to pick up the boys I chauffeur 4 days a week.  Sometimes it is all 3, but this day it was just the younger one, who is in 5th grade, because the older two have track practice.

Just look at that sparkly clean windshield.
3pm - I have to wait in line for a bit, and I usually read.  But usually on my phone and so you can't see that I am reading on the above pic taken with my phone. :)  Take kid home and make sure house is clear.

3:30pm - Swing by the pharmacy and pick up a new pain pill prescription. Swing by smoothie place and grab one of my 2 favorites - a mango orange strawberry smoothie.  My other favorite is a pomegranate smoothie.

3:45pm - Back home. Bring in the mail.
4pm - Settle outside on this BEAUTIFUL day, sip my smoothie, and read out of Salvage the Bones, while the kitties play in the woods.

I never finish these smoothies. They are one giant size only for some reason.

4:45pm - Art time!  I'm not great but I do enjoy it.  This day I worked some more on this trio of flower vases. I like to outline everything in black. Probably mostly because I sketch in pencil and the black hides the pencil marks, but also I just like how it makes everything stand out, I guess.

The one on the right is the hardest because they are overlapping. I will need to pay good attention when I add color.

5:15pm - The cat curls up by me and I end up taking a quick nap.
6pm - Wake up and go online to FB to check out the days posts on the Discussion Group.
Are you a book blogger and want to join?  Look us up!  It's a great group.
End up wasting copious amounts of time reading news feed and chatting. :)

7:15pm - Make a turkey and apple sandwich for dinner. I slice a quarter of an apple and put it right in the sandwich.  It's a tasty way to get out of sandwich boredom.

7:45pm - Make plans with the bf to go to the gym tomorrow after I get off of work.  A year ago this schedule would have killed me.  I'm pretty happy with how far I've come.

8pm - Get the Wii set up to my new TV.  The TV is old and apparently only has one output so I have to disconnect my Blu Ray player each time I want to switch to the Wii and vice versa.  It wouldn't be so bad if the TV wasn't kind of bulky and set into a corner where I have to turn it every time as well.  Bah.  But I get it hooked up so I can use my Wii Fit again.  It has been a while since I have had the energy to do it and physical therapy both.

8:30pm - Realize I forgot all about the laundry I started earlier in the day and put it in the dryer and start a load of towels.  I also take out the recycling and trash from the kitchen.

8:45pm - Come inside and rest because that still hurts my back sometimes.  Pick up Blood, Ink, and Fire and read for a bit.

9:30pm - Switch out load of laundry, bring in and hang up/fold clothes. Make some iced berry tea.  Think this particular tea is better hot.

10pm - Look at new pictures and videos my sister put on Dropbox of my adorable niece, Mia, who is almost 2 years old.  I'd share but they don't want her picture out on the internet.  But trust me, she's adorable. I'm not biased, I swear.

10:30pm - Fold the towels while I watch an episode of Sirens on Netflix. Have you seen this show?  It's quite funny. 

11pm - Play Yahtzee and Dominos on my phone until I fall asleep.  I don't know why but I easily fall asleep playing games on my phone.

As you can see, this day is a vast improvement over the day I shared with you last year where I was all everything hurts and I feel like I'm dying.  I still hurt, I still take meds during the day (especially before & after workouts), and I still have a ways to go before I feel like I'm not really disabled anymore, but I'm pretty happy that there has been progress.  I thought I would have the life I had last year forever. Let that be proof for me and for you and for everyone that it is important to never stop fighting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!