January 11, 2016

Thoughts on What I'm Reading - Week #2


This meme is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date

This week I started a perpetual read for 2016.
I also read a graphic novel and completed Under the Udala Trees.
I DNF'd a book, too.
I'm just excited that I'm reading more, as the past couple of months I was in a slump!

If this is your first time reading my Monday reading posts, 3 quick things:

1) I'm a huge multi-book reader, so it takes me a bit to get through books, but I read a lot of pages each week.
2) I share stats on how many pages read, how far in the book I am, etc. They are mostly for me, but I share them with you, too.
3) I like sharing my thoughts each week on what I've read. I started doing it to give readers an idea how I am enjoying a book since I do read each book for a while (multi-book reading!), but I've been told it's like getting mini-reviews on the books each week, which I think is kind of cool now that it's been pointed out.

Let me know your thoughts on what I'm reading and tell me what you're reading, too!


FINISHED READING:


Kampung Boy (Kampung Boy #1) by Lat
Pages Read: 144
4 STARS - I already put #2 on hold at the library.

Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta
# of Pages: 336
This Week: 63-100%
Pages Read: 125
3 STARS - Read it for the message, which is an important one.

DNF:
 A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston
# of Pages: 336
This Week: 23-27%
Pages Read: 13
Thoughts This Week: I just can't get into this. It won't hold my attention. Slow pace and boring protagonist.  The culture is fascinating, but the other two things drag it down as a whole. I could be reading Salman Rushdie right now, you know what I mean?


 CURRENTLY READING:


What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler
# of Pages: 336
This Week: 38-53%
Pages Read: 51
Thoughts This Week: This is soo good, y'all. While I thought the story sounded like the real-life case of the Duke Univ. lacrosse team, I didn't really realize it was, actually, based on true events - out of Ohio - until AndiABC's and Rachel G. told me.
 

Compulsion (Heirs of Watson Island #1) by Martina Boone
On pg. 153 of 464
Pages Read This Week: 24
Thoughts This Week: I hope this family feud thing makes a kapow because I don't want to be let down.

 
The Paris Key by Juliet Blackwell
# of Pages: 336
This Week: 17-%
Pages Read:0
Thoughts This Week: Didn't get to this week. Not sure I missed it.
 
Tightrope by Simon Mawer
On pg. 84 of 512
Pages Read This Week: 56
Thoughts This Week: Really liking it so far.


White Collar Girl by Renee Rosen
Goodreads Link
# of Pages: 448
This Week: 0-3%
Pages Read: 15
Thoughts: I already like Jordan. I can tell she is going to set the newspaper world on fire.  I believe it.


none right now


I have a couple more graphic novels checked out but haven't started them yet.



The Fictional 100: Ranking the Most Influential Characters in World Literature and Legend by Lucy Pollard-Gott
Goodreads Link
On pg. 103 of 496
Pages Read:13
Learned This Week About: Beowulf has never interested me, but the passage in here did. Also, I now want to read Pilgrim's Progress for the first time in my life.



Under the Same Blue Sky by Pamela Schoenewaldt
Tanya recommended!
On pg. 58 of 352
Pages Read: 21
Thoughts This Week:  I kind of miss her family, but interested in this town, too.

 The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
Goodreads Link
On pg. 83 of 552
Pages Read: 27
Thoughts This Week: Completed Part One. WWII has started. This book hits you in the guts. I'm collecting quotes from it and putting them on Evernote.

 Deathwatch (Broslin Creek #1) by Dana Marten
Goodreads Link
# of Pages: 168
This Week: 18-43%
Pages Read: 42
Thoughts: The writing is so-so, but I am attached to the two main characters. They are very well-developed and likeable.  I also appreciate that Marten is acknowledging attraction, but isn't letting that gloss over the fact she is running from an assassin, which is def more important than lust.

 Runes (Runes #1) by Ednah Walters
Goodreads Link
*Reading on Wattpad App*
On pg. 74 of 245
Pages Read: 35
Thoughts This Week: It's pretty enjoyable.



The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu
Goodreads Link
On pg. 21 of 1182
Pages Read This Week: 21
Thoughts: Love getting to read this again. I read half of it back in 2009 but had to return it to the library and never finished it.  Now I am starting over from the beginning, thanks to my friend, Lucy, who gave me this copy for Christmas.  Considering it's length, it will be a 2016 challenge to finish it in full!    

STATS:
Total Books Currently Reading: 11
Total Books Read in 2015: 80
Total Pages Read in 2015: 24, 300
Total Books Read in 2016:  2
Pages Read This Update: 528
Total Pages Read in 2016: 528


~Have you read any of the books I'm reading?  What did you think of it? 
~What are you reading right now?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  

Share in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!