December 31, 2015

2015 End-of-Year Book Survey


2015-end-of-year-book-survey-1024x984

This is hosted by the lovely Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner whose blog is pretty kick ass so check it out.

I did this survey last year, too.


reading-stats-2015-1024x278

Number Of Books You Read: 80 I fell 5 short of my goal. First time. But next year, it's on like Genghis Khan!
Number of Re-Reads: 1 The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy & YA Fantasy/Paranormal


best-YA-books-2014

1. Best Book You Read In 2015?

 I had to split this into fiction & nonfiction.


 Second place fiction is Rodin's Lover by Heather Webb.  Second place NF is We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.  So just go forth and read all four of these, please and thank you.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

I love, LOVE Moran, but I did not love this book. I was underwhelmed.
Maybe my expectations were too high. 

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? 


In a very good way. I was surprised by a lot that happened, but it was all awesome.

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?

Have you read this?  It's only 49 pages and it is made of equal parts awesome and kick ass.  
I'm so glad that several people told me they have since read it.  It makes me happy. 

Drop what you're doing and read it!
 5. Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015?

I loved The Witch of Painted Sorrows and cannot wait for the next in the series, The Secret Language of Stones.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015?


It's a tie.  Have mercy, I barely got it narrowed down to three. I will read anything these three write now.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

If I'm being honest, I noticed nothing this year was particularly out of my comfort zone, although I'm reading a romance book right now, which is, I'm not finished with it so it doesn't count for 2015.  I am saying The Forgotten Garden because I don't gravitate to chunksters that are character-driven, but I enjoyed this one.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?


This was my second choice for #4 and #5.  I really loved this book.  It was fast-paced with interesting characters and lots of action.

9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

If you don't know already, this book touched my soul.  I live with several chronic pain disorders and was bedridden for a year so I am all too familiar with the isolation she goes through, though hers is more severe.  Now that I know how it ends, I want to re-read it to see if it feels the same.  I'm betting it does. 

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015?


Y'all know I love a good cover.  This was one of my favorites.  I mean, she never floats in the air, I am not sure if this is representing the ghost, but whatever I love it even if I am not sure.

11. Most memorable character of 2015?

I don't know that any characters I read about this year are any more standoutish than a dozen more, but Sophie Harkness comes close to feeling like I will never forget her or her story.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015?


Probably loved the writing more than the characters.  And the plot.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015?

In Our Backyard by far. I've been interested in learning more and preventing/stopping human trafficking since I was in college. The information in this book blew my mind, though. I will be reviewing it soon.  As soon as I can wrap my mind around it all and put my thoughts in coherent sentences.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read?

 My first Atwood, too!  I KNOW.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015?

 I wish I had kept up with this better.  I will aim to do that next year.

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015?

 
Shortest - We Should Be Feminists at 49 Pages
(Technically on my GR read list there are 2 shorter but I consider them to be short stories.)
Longest - 1,000 Foods to Eat Before You Die at 990 Pages
Interesting that they are both nonfiction.

17. Book That Shocked You The Most


The way in which this book shocked me was that it shocked me I couldn't get into it.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)



I mean a soulmate from another century?  Yasssss.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

Millie, Agatha, and Carl.  Like I could possibly choose anything else.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously:

I didn't even like The Reincarnationist that much, but this book made up for all that.

21. Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

Recommended by Andi.  What a fun book!

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?


I crushed on all three of these guys.  Come to mama.


23. Best 2015 debut you read?

Read it, y'all.  Read it.

24. Best World-building/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?


The Fire Sermon by Francesca Haig
Angelbound by Christina Bauer
Becoming Darkness by Lindsay Francis Brambles 

All 3 distinct worlds, yet I felt I was in the midst of each of them.  I knew what surrounded me (aka the character).  

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?


Nimona was funny; Flukes was light and refreshing and a breath of fresh air.  Both fun, fun reads.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015?

 
 Emotional rollercoaster of a book.  So so good, though.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?


No one is talking about either of these, but I thought they were both very good.

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

Obviously.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015?


It was a seriously bizarre book. Seriously.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

Sorry I keep using this one, but it is the only one that made me angry.  At people. 

 

book-blogging

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015?

I can't remember what I discovered this year or the year before, but I do remember discovering Paper Fury. I like Cait's style.  She cracks me up and she has great ideas.  Also, pineapples.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2015?

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood 

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

On How to #BlogHonest and #BuildCommunity

In Defense of the DNF

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?


I love Travel the World in Books. New cultures! Travel! Adventure!
Nonfiction November was a close second for fun event. I enjoy it a lot.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015?

One of my favorite parts of blogging life are the people in this community.  You guys make blogging rock.  I have been very fortunate to become friends with so many of you, even meeting several of you IRL. I get to hang out with Sandie regularly, which is awesome. In 2015 I have gotten to hang out with Heather, Care, Tanya M.,and Kristen.  Next year I hope to meet and hang out again with these ladies and many more bloggers!

6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?

Slumps.  Is there anything worse for a book lover than a months-long slump?  Just nothing really captivating you, your concentration non-existent, meh becoming your new most-said word.  BLECH.  Frustration city.


7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

The two most viewed posts are actually guest posts, both from March's Women's Lit Event:
Women and Words: guest post by audiobook narrator Amy Rubinate
A Question of Identity: Female Writers Posing as Men by author Linda Poitevin

The two most viewed posts that I've written:
On How to #BlogHonest and #BuildCommunity
Book Blogger Shout-Outs is Back!

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

Review of The Haunting of Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie

9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

 I don't know if I discovered anything new this year.  Everything I can think of that I love I already discovered previously.  I need some recs!  Help me out!

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

The one goal I actually accomplished was to read more from my TBR piles and actually have one going at all times.  I am hoping to get even more into it in the next year with Andi's #ReadMyOwnDamnBooks event.


looking-ahead-books-2015

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016?

 

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)?

3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

17998474 
Feb. 23, 2016

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016?

27274426 
The sequel to The Witch of Painted Sorrows. Not publishing until July.  Sniff.
I also want to read The Awakening of Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie, the sequel to The Haunting of Sunshine Girl.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016?

As I said above, I hope to read more from my own book TBR collection.  But I also hope to review more.  And do more discussion pieces.  I've really slacked on both this year.  I also want to learn some more about blogging.  I have some other ideas but I want to ponder them some more before I decide if I want to commit including possibly an Etsy store.

6. A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:

The only 2016 I've read so far is Pure Soapmaking by Anne-Marie Faiola.  If you're into crafts, though, it was a 5-star craft read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!