November 30, 2015

What I'm Reading Mondays 11.30.15


This meme is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date

The struggle has been real, y'all.  I have not been in a reading mood for most of November.  I think a lot of it had to do with the books I was reading. None of them were necessarily bad, but they were not capturing my imagination or attention.  I finally had to skim a few chapters in Esther and DNF two books that originally I liked a lot.  I hope I am finally shaking off this slump!

Tell me any thoughts you have on what I'm reading and I want
to hear about what you're reading, too!

FINISHED READING:
Esther by Rebecca Kanner
# of Pages: 400
This Week: 42-100%
Pages Read: 232
Review to come soon.

ABANDONED:
  The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman
# of Pages: 384
Thoughts This Week: This book has some stellar reviews but the writing was very stale to me. 
 

 Inherit the Stars by Tessa Elwood
# of Pages: 304
This Week: 8-52%
Pages Read This Week: 134
Thoughts: The lack of world-building and secondary character-building have taken so much away from an otherwise solid plot. I'm bummed because this could've been awesome. I want to know the outcome, but I am *literally* forcing myself through each page. It was a hard decision to make.


 CURRENTLY READING:


In Our Backyard: Human Trafficking in America and What 
We Can Do To Stop It by Nita Belles
Goodreads Link
# of Pages: 240
This Week: 33-52%
Pages Read: 45
Thoughts This Week: I want to read this one faster, but it just takes so much out of my heart.
  

She's Not There by P.J. Parrish
# of Pages: 384
This Week: 33-49%
Pages Read: 62
Thoughts This Week: I'm getting to the point where I want something else to happen. But it's been good so far!

Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta
# of Pages: 336
This Week: 14-25%
Pages Read: 37
Thoughts This Week: Let's just say that Ijeoma's mama would be part of the Extreme Religious Right in America, the one is which they interpret everything in the Bible to meet their already held beliefs and prejudices. I'm not down with that. 

What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler
# of Pages: 336
This Week: 0-11%
Pages Read: 36
Thoughts This Week: I like Kate and I'm interested to see where this goes.
 

Compulsion (Heirs of Watson Island #1) by Martina Boone
# of Pages: 464
Pages Read This Week: 57
Thoughts This Week: Lots of intrigue and feuds hundreds of years old, all with a dash of magical realism. So far, captivating. 


Shiver (Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
On pg. 44 of 390
Pages Read: 44
Thoughts This Week: Wait, random ppl are being turned into werewolves?!?





The Universe in a Single Atom by His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Goodreads Link
On pg. 73 of 224
Pages Read: 13
Thoughts This Week:I have misplaced this book. I can't find it. I am hoping it accidentally got mixed up with some books in this box I'm putting in storage. I hope it's not really lost!


The Fictional 100: Ranking the Most Influential Characters in World Literature and Legend by Lucy Pollard-Gott
Goodreads Link
On pg. 44 of 496
Pages Read: 30
Learned This Week About: Don Quixote, Biblical Eve, Odysseus, Don Juan. This is really interesting.  Next up: Sherlock Holmes.


 
Here is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History by Andrew Carroll
Goodreads Link
On pg. 86 of 500
Pages Read This Week: 29
Some Stuff Learned This Week: 
1) Ponce de Leon was the first non-Native to set foot on what would become the U.S.A. So did Vikings land in Canada?  Gotta look that up.
2) Prometheus was the oldest living thing in the world until someone cut it down in the 60s to study regional climate change.  I'm not kidding.  



 The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance: A Memoir by Elna Baker
On pg. 54 of 276
Pages Read: 14
Thoughts This Week: Her story about how she stopped her head from bleeding that day in the snow made me laugh hysterically.  How humiliating. But it makes a good story!




STATS:

Total Books Currently Reading: 10
Total Books Read in 2015: 72
Pages Read This Update: 733
Total Pages Read in 2015: 22,271
I wonder if I can get to 30,000 pages by Dec. 31st.  Think I can?

REVIEW BOOKS ON DECK:
One of these will be next. 

~Have you read any of the books I'm reading?  What did you think of it? 
~What are you reading right now?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  


Share in the comments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!