November 9, 2015

What I'm Reading 11.9.15


In case you were not aware, this meme is now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date

Two books finished and over 700 pages read this week thanks to my focus returning this weekend! Yay! I've been seriously struggling with it lately.  My reading and blogging have both suffered because of it. Hopefully I've kicked it and I can get back to getting anything at all accomplished lol.

Tell me any thoughts you have on what I'm reading and I want
to hear about what you're reading, too!

FINISHED READING:

Dream the Impossible Dream (Zen Pencils, Vol. 2) by Gavin Aung Than
Goodreads Link
On pg. 67 of 176
Pages Read:109
Review to come.

Me, My Hair, and I: Twenty-Seven Women Untangle an Obsession
by Elizabeth Benedict
Goodreads Link
On pg. 219 of 336
Pages Read This Week: 117
Review to come.

ABANDONED/DNF:
The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
Read thoughts here.


 CURRENTLY READING:

Review books, Library Loot, Nonfiction November,
and TBR are separated by collages, like the one directly below. 
 


  The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman
Goodreads Link
# of Pages: 384
This Week: 19-36%
Pages Read This Week: 66
Thoughts This Week: I guess the first 30% of the book is to demonstrate how tragic her life was to juxtapose it against the arrival of Frederick from Paris.


In Our Backyard: Human Trafficking in America and What 
We Can Do To Stop It by Nita Belles
Goodreads Link
# of Pages: 240
This Week: 26-33%
Pages Read: 17
Thoughts This Week: It's so interesting, but so hard to read about.
It's insane how many people are enslaved in America, in a myriad of ways, for a myriad of reasons. 
  

Esther by Rebecca Kanner
# of Pages: 400
This Week: 34-42%
Pages Read: 32
Thoughts This Week: This is my "read in the car waiting in lines" book. It's a bit more detailed than I really think necessary, but it is still interesting to me.  I do have an interest in Esther.

She's Not There by P.J. Parrish
# of Pages: 384
This Week: 25-33%
Pages Read: 30
Thoughts This Week: I wonder what the P.I. is going to find out about her life before the amnesia. What would make her run away?

 Inherit the Stars by Tessa Elwood
# of Pages: 304
This Week: 0-8%
Pages Read This Week: 24
Thoughts This Week: Interesting premise and I like that Asa is gutsy.

Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta
# of Pages: 336
This Week: 0-14%
Pages Read: 47
Quote This Week: "If only the war were some sort of illness, if only all that was needed was a little medicine."

 
The Invasion of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling #2) by Erika Johansen
On pg. 170 of 515
Pages Read:142
Thoughts This Week: Someone else put this on hold so I have to wait to finish it. Bummer.


The Universe in a Single Atom by His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Goodreads Link
On pg. 60 of 224
Pages Read: 33
Thoughts This Week: All I know is The Dalai Lama is far more intelligent in scientific matters than I am. He is talking about quantum physics now. 

Me, trying to understand.
And it's on a base level, too.  I keep re-reading sections.


The Fictional 100: Ranking the Most Influential Characters in World Literature and Legend by Lucy Pollard-Gott
Goodreads Link
On pg. 14 of 496
Pages Read: 14
Learned This Week:
1) Hamlet and I share a propensity for overthinking. I think I will read Hamlet soon.
2) Odysseus features in more modern works than I realized. 

 
Here is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History by Andrew Carroll
Goodreads Link
On pg. 57 of 500
Pages Read This Week: 57
Learned This Week: 
1) Many intriguing places of historic significance remain mostly unknown because they are residential houses whose owners do not want gawkers, or the residents don't even know have historic significance. 
2)  Al Capone's brother was Richard "Two Gun" Hart, a famous G-man.
3) I had never heard of Ona Judge, but I'd love to read more about her.
4) Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan both claimed to have seen a UFO. Carter even consulted clairvoyants during his presidency, which is apparently a thing the government does/did, particularly the CIA - called "psychic espionage'.  What the what.

 
The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance: A Memoir by Elna Baker
On pg. 40 of 276
Pages Read: 40
Thoughts This Week: Humorous, informative of the Mormon religion, and high-spirited. My best friend gave me this to read because it is one of her favorites. 




STATS:

Total Books Currently Reading: 11
Total Books Read in 2015: 71
Pages Read This Update: 728
Total Pages Read in 2015: 21,538
I wonder if I can get to 30,000 pages by Dec. 31st.  Think I can?

REVIEW BOOKS ON DECK:
One of these will be next. 

~Have you read any of the books I'm reading?  What did you think of it? 
~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  



Share in the comments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!