November 4, 2015

Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter


I really enjoyed parts of this book - the modern interpretation of the Greek myth of Persephone, the likable characters,...well that's about it actually. See, because then...I got bored.


It's about 50 pages too long and I'm not sure if it's the first 50 pages or the last 50 pages. I really wanted to get the point. It was obvious, even though I'd never read Persephone's tale, what was going to happen and even how it was going to happen. I was enjoying the ride for most of the book but then about 3/4 of the way through I just started skimming. If the plot is going to be predictable, I need the ride getting there to be fast and entertaining. I need the characters to be witty or clever. I need SOMETHING.


 Kate was never an exciting character - sweet, but dull as dishwater and not at all clever. Henry was pretty fascinating for a while, but I grew tired of him as well. For lord of the Underworld, he was predictable and even his rage was a bit on the dull side. I feel like Carter could have done so many great things with this and it was a missed opportunity to give the reader cardboard cookie cutter characters.  I kept with it as long as I could, thinking SURELY there would be something to surprise me, some redeeming quality to the story.  Big fat NOPE.

So, to recap: boring personalities + predictable plot + no surprises + slow pace = not a book I can recommend, nor one whose series I wish to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!