November 16, 2015

Nonfiction November: WEEK 3: NONTRADITIONAL NONFICTION





How is everyone enjoying Nonfic November this year?  I can't believe we are already at the halfway mark!  This week I am hosting and here's what we are discussing:

NONTRADITIONAL NONFICTION

This week we will be focusing on the nontraditional side of reading nonfiction.  Nonfiction comes in many forms  There are the traditional hardcover or paperback print books, of course, but then you also have e-books, audiobooks, illustrated and graphic nonfiction, oversized folios, miniatures, internet publishing, nonfiction short stories, and enhanced books (book itself includes artifacts, audio, historical documents, images, etc.) So many choices! Do you find yourself drawn to or away from nontraditional nonfiction? Do you enjoy some nontraditional formats, but not others? Perhaps you have recommendations for readers who want to dive into nontraditional formats.  We want to hear all about it this week!  

My Reply to the Prompt:
I've enjoyed NF in several different formats.  I find the format that is hardest for me is audiobooks. I am too easily distracted. But I have listened to a few good ones. Beyond Good and Evil I both read AND listened to so I was less distracted.  

I love NF via graphic format and e-books.  They are my two favorites - the graphics because it gives visuals to a memoir or biography, the e-books because it makes it easy to highlight sentences and paragraphs I want to remember.  Whenever I read a print NF book, especially one that's not a memoir/bio, I am always underlining in pencil.  The only enhanced nonfiction I've read is The Illustrated Jane Austen.

Here are some books that I've enjoyed in nontraditional formats.  


E-books:


E-books are the most obvious of the nontraditional formats.  In fact, e-books practically ARE traditional at this point, when only 5-6 years ago they weren't.  Half the books I read are e-books these days, when six years ago as a new blogger I did not read any e-books.

For We Should All Be Feminists, I also watched the TEDtalk that Adichie gave from which this essay was adapted.  This is another way the formats are changing. 

PDFs:

PDFs are my least favorite medium to read a book on, but I still loved each of these books, nonetheless.
It is not a traditional way to get a book into the hands of a reviewer, but it is still an option in the tech age.


Graphic Nonfiction/Sequential Art:


These true stories are told using the sequential art form.

Nonfiction Shorts/Collections:

Into the Mummy's Tomb includes both short stories and nonfiction essays and excerpts.
Fire and Forget is a collection of true stories from the wars in the Middle East.
Out of Dublin is a short memoir.


Oversized:

They aren't elephant folios, but these books are still oversized compared to traditional publishing sizes.

Miniatures:
Each of these books fit in the palm of my hand.

Internet Publishing:       


I read this directly on the internet.  It is in the public domain.

I have yet to read a book that has been solely published online. Have you? I want to hear about it!
 

Enhanced:



This book contains several envelopes which contain letters and illustrations, like the letter below, in Jane's handwriting:



What about you?  Audio, e-books, internet publishing, enhanced books, sequential art, oversized, miniature books.  What formats do your nonfiction books take?

Add your own Nontraditional Nonfiction reads and posts below! 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!