November 2, 2015

Nonfiction November: Week 1 - My Year in Nonfiction


Yay!  It's that time of year again!  Nonfiction November time!  Kim, Leslie, Katie, and I have another fun event planned for you and I hope that you will join us!

This week, Kim of Sophisticated Dorkiness is your host, so be sure to head over to her blog and link up!


Week 1: (Nov. 2 to 6) –  Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?


This year I have read and completed 12 nonfiction books, and I'm in the midst of reading 4 more (1 started yesterday for this event.)  That number is lower than I would like.  Thank goodness for Nonfic November to help me add in some more! Here's what I've read so far this year:


I have read about history, feminism, sex, art, war, anthropology, sociology, and food.  That's not a bad array of subjects.  Even better, I don't have a bad thing to say about any of the above books. They were all worth reading.

My favorite nonfiction read of the year would have to be We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.  It was ah-mazing.  I wholly recommend it.  It's an essay adapted from her TEDtalk of the same name.  It's only 23 pages, so it would be a good one to squeeze in this month.

I also really loved March (Book One) by John Robert Lewis and recommend it as a great graphic nonfiction.

I think I enjoyed Spinster the least, but mostly because it wasn't what I was expecting. 

I would like to read more on philosophy/religion/spirituality, which is why I've picked up The Universe in a Single Atom by His Holiness The Dalai Lama to read this month for the event.


  I am also going to use this month to finish up the 3 other nonfiction reads I have already begun:




Are you participating in Nonfic November?  What are you planning on reading this month? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!