October 12, 2015

What I'm Reading - 10.12.15


This week I focused mostly on A Woman of Note to finish it in time for my review on the blog tour Thursday, so I had less time for other books.  Although, I did finally decide to DNF two of them that I think were part of the slump that has been afflicting me.  This week I flew through A Woman of Note and I really enjoyed reading what I could in my other reads.  Is it too soon to say my slump is ending?

Tell me your thoughts on what I'm reading and what you're reading, too!

FINISHED READING:
  
A Woman of Note by Carol M. Cann
Pages Read This Week: 278
Read review here.
 
DNF/ABANDONED:


Not on Fire, But Burning by Greg Hrbek
Read review here.

 Mort (Discworld #4) by Terry Pratchett 
Thoughts: I wanted to like it because everyone seems to, but I was more a fan of the idea than the actual book.  Too many details, not enough action, I didn't care about Mort AT ALL, and Death was the only thing interesting, which turned out to be not enough for me.

CURRENTLY READING:

 REVIEW BOOKS/ARCs:



The Girl from Krakow: A Novel by Alex Rosenberg
On pg. 163 of 442
Pages Read This Week: 25
Thoughts This Week: End of Part II.

 A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn
# of Pages:352
This Week: 63-72%
Pages Read This Week: 32
Thoughts This Week: Curious to see how this ends!  It's been a good read.
 
The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman
Goodreads Link
# of Pages: 384
This Week: 0-5%
Pages Read This Week: 19
Thoughts This Week: So far so good!    



The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
*For Project Gutenberg Project*
Goodreads Link
On pg. 147 of 192
Pages Read This Week:55
Thoughts This Week: Still enjoying Longfellow's beautiful writing.

Me, My Hair, and I: Twenty-Seven Women Untangle an Obsession
by Elizabeth Benedict
Goodreads Link
On pg. 81 of 336
Pages Read This Week: 38
Thoughts This Week: Interesting essays. I'm so impressed with this collection.

In Our Backyard: Human Trafficking in America and What We Can Do To Stop It
by Nita Belles
Goodreads Link
# of Pages: 240
This Week: 9-12%
Pages Read:8
Thoughts This Week: "Human trafficking is simply a politically correct phrase for what is really modern slavery."  The victims of trafficking are used just like slaves of 150 years ago, too.  I will never look at an Amber Alert or missing person's report the same way again. The fact so many people don't even believe trafficking happens, really gives these criminals an advantage, too. Grrr...
  


The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
Goodreads Link
# of Pages: 390
This Week: 11-20%
Pages Read This Week: 36
Thoughts This Week: Still confused, but I hear it will start making sense soon. Oddly, it is still interesting even though I'm not entirely sure what's happening.




The Goddess Test (Goddess Test #1) by Aimee Carter
On pg. 170 of 293
Pages Read This Week: 35
Thoughts This Week: I both enjoyed a surprise and a very obvious dialogue in which I rolled my eyes in these 35 pages, so....the surprise is canceled out by that.

Into the Mummy's Tomb, edited by John Richard Stephens
*For R.I.P. X*
On pg. 179 of 352
Pages Read This Week: 64
Thoughts This Week: Agatha Christie's story was okay, but I'm not a fan of Poirot.  I also read a short piece by an ancient Egyptian priest (from about 300 B.C.) that Stephens modernized; an excerpt by Mark Twain called The Majestic Sphinx that I would read more of; and a long story called Smith and the Pharaohs by Sir H. Rider Haggard that I enjoyed a lot.




STATS:

Total Books Currently Reading: 9
Total Books Read in 2015: 61
Pages Read This Update: 590
Total Pages Read in 2015: 19,822


REVIEW BOOKS ON DECK:
One of these will be next. 




~Have you read any of the books I'm reading?  What did you think of it? 
~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  



Share in the comments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!