October 5, 2015

Thoughts on What I'm Reading 10.5.15


I read more this week, but still under par.  I'm having a weird slump. It's like I am enjoying the reads- a couple even immensely- but still nothing is grabbing me saying "quit all other tasks and read me."  I've been feeling very "take it or leave it" with the act of reading. I'm not sure why. I'm trying not to force it but this week I need to finish A Woman of Note. We will see if doing so jump starts my reading again. 

So, as always, tell me your thoughts on what I'm reading and what you're reading, too!

FINISHED READING:
  
  Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters
*Rec'd by my Mom*
Pages Read: 93
Review to come.

CURRENTLY READING:

 REVIEW BOOKS/ARCs:



The Girl from Krakow: A Novel by Alex Rosenberg
On pg. 138 of 442
Pages Read This Week: 36
Thoughts This Week:  Really good. The organization is still bizarre, but I like the story.

 A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn
# of Pages:352
This Week: 44-63%
Pages Read This Week: 67
Thoughts This Week: i am really liking this. It is actually a very Amelia Peabody/Emerson dynamic, as far as personalities. I may not have noticed this if I hadn't been reading both at the same time.

Not on Fire, But Burning by Greg Hrbek
# of Pages:275
This Week: 26-35%
Pages Read This Week: 25
Thoughts This Week: As I was telling Sarah yesterday (which helped me flesh out my thoughts on it), it's a good commentary on fear and misinformation, but the jury's still out on the rest.  The pace was shock-fast at the beginning and now it is dragging like a deflated balloon.  Kick it up a notch, Hrbek!

A Woman of Note by Carol M. Cann
Goodreads Link
On pg. 80 of 358
Pages Read This Week: 38
Thoughts This Week: I will be focusing on this one this week, as the review goes up Thursday! Luckily for me, it is a great story.

The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
*For Project Gutenberg Project*
Goodreads Link
On pg. 92 of 192
Pages Read This Week: 66
Thoughts This Week: I confess I enjoy the writing more than the story the poem is telling.

The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins
Goodreads Link
# of Pages: 390
This Week: 6-11%
Pages Read This Week: 19
Thoughts This Week: What in the world is going on here?  So weird, yet so compelling!

23411635

Me, My Hair, and I: Twenty-Seven Women Untangle an Obsession
by Elizabeth Benedict
Goodreads Link
On pg. 43 of 336
Pages Read This Week:10
Thoughts This Week: I already know this is going to be a winner of a book. I admit I am savoring it a little bit.

In Our Backyard: Human Trafficking in America and What We Can Do To Stop It
by Nita Belles
Goodreads Link
# of Pages: 240
This Week: 0-9%
Pages Read: 21
Thoughts This Week: Human trafficking is a 'pet' cause of mine, if you will.  I know a lot about it, but I am about to learn a lot more.  One thing I do know is that slavery still exists in the U.S.  One of the biggest trafficking routes is in my backyard.  A crossroads of major interstates that run cross-country is 10 miles from me.  Human beings are trafficked through here every day.  According to Belles, if you live in a small town or rural area, it is even more likely humans are trafficked in your backyard. 

LIBRARY LOOT:


Mort (Discworld #4) by Terry Pratchett 
*Mandy recommended*
On pg. 87 of 295
Pages Read: 0
Thoughts This Week: Didn't get to it this week. I think I am more fascinated with Pratchett's concept than the actual story. I don't know.  I'm on the fence.




The Goddess Test (Goddess Test #1) by Aimee Carter
On pg. 135 of 293
Pages Read This Week: 43
Thoughts This Week: I do like Greek mythology re-tellings, and this one is no exception!

Into the Mummy's Tomb, edited by John Richard Stephens
*For R.I.P. X*
On pg. 115 of 352
Pages Read This Week: 14
Thoughts This Week: Read a fascinating nonfiction essay about finding Tut's tomb. 





STATS:

Total Books Currently Reading: 11
Total Books Read in 2015: 60
Pages Read This Update: 432
Total Pages Read in 2015: 19,232


REVIEW BOOKS ON DECK:
One of these will be next. 




~Have you read any of the books I'm reading?  What did you think of it? 
~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  



Share in the comments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!