October 31, 2015

R.I.P. X Wrap-Up - How Did I Do?

Design by Abigail Larson


Happy Halloween! 

I am glad I signed up and will do so again next year. I did pretty well with the challenge. Although I didn't finish one of the Perils, I finished the other 2.  Here are my results:

ripnineperilthird

Peril the Third: We all want you to participate. This Peril involves imbibing just one R.I.P.ping read.

My Choice: Illuminae by Amie Kaufman

My Result: I didn't end up reading Illuminae, even though I still want to.  I started reading The Library of Mount Char by Scott Hawkins, but I haven't finished it.  It's a pretty weird book and I'm not entirely sure it is for me.  


ripnineperilshort

Peril of the Short Story: We are big fans of short stories and the desire for them is perhaps no greater than in Autumn. You can read short stories any time during the challenge. We like to read short stories over the weekend and post about them around that time. Feel free to do this however you want, but if you review short stories on your site (not a requirement) please link to those reviews on the Review Site. It is not just a site for book reviews.


My Choice: Stories from Into the Mummy's Tomb by John-Richard Stephens.  I usually read a Poe story about this time every year so I'll probably include that, too.

My Result: Score!  I finished this one!  Today actually.  I liked this collection.  It was actually one of the better anthologies I have read.  Anthologies are really hit and miss for the most part, but I lucked out and this one was mostly hits for me.  My favorite stories were:
  • Lost in a Pyramid, or The Mummy's Curse by Louisa May Alcott
  • The Demon-Possessed Princess by an Ancient Egyptian Priest
  • The Majestic Sphinx by Mark Twain
  • Smith and the Pharaohs by Sir H. Rider Haggard
  • The Jewel of Seven Stars by Bram Stoker


ripnineperilscreen


Peril On the Screen: This is for those of us that like to watch suitably scary, eerie, mysterious gothic fare during this time of year. It may be something on the small screen or large. It might be a television show, like Dark Shadows or Midsomer Murders, or your favorite film. If you are so inclined, please post links to any R.I.P.-related viewing you do on to the Review Site as well.


My Choices: I'm using Netflix Streaming for these.
I will watch at least 3 of these, if not all of them!  2 are a re-watch, the rest new to me.

Carrie (with Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore)
The Lost Boys (a re-watch, with Jason Patric, Corey Haim, and Keifer Sutherland)
Stonehearst Asylum (with Kate Beckinsale and Michael Caine)
Lizzie Borden Took an Ax (with Christina Ricci)
Basic Instinct (with Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone)
The Others (a re-watch for like the 4th time, with Nicole Kidman)

My Results:
I watched Carrie (awesome), Stonehearst Asylum (awesome), Lizzie Borden Took an Ax (really good), Basic Instinct (good), and The Others (awesome).  I am going to re-watch The Lost Boys tonight and that will complete the list!


What about you? How did you do in the challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!