October 10, 2015

Review: Not on Fire, But Burning by Greg Hrbek

I wanted to like this book much more than I did. The idea was brilliant. The execution flawed.

For one, my expectations were extremely high after reading the brilliant, fast-paced beginning with Skylar. Those expectations fell with each new chapter and never picked up again.

One problem was that there were too many narrators. I never got the chance to care about any of them one way or the other. Every time I started to enjoy Karim or Dorian or the guy who adopted Karim - I can't even recall his name, which is a sign - it would switch to Mitch or someone else. To make matters worse, the galley was not formatted correctly and there were sometimes no indications that the narrator was changing. This will not be a problem for those reading the finalized copy.

Another problem was the pace. After Skylar's part, I expected the pace would slow. The problem is it stayed slow. It took what felt like ages for just the tiniest of things to happen. I got bored waiting for anything to happen or for a character to interest me.

Unfortunately, for me, as Naomi put it last week, this book wasn't on fire, nor burning. It felt like a heap of ashes trying to find a spark.


Have you read Hrbek's novel?  I saw plenty of favorable reviews.  Tell me your opinion! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!