October 17, 2015

Dewey's 24-Hour #Readathon - Master Post

NOTE: I will be updating from this page all day, so just scroll down to get the latest updates. Thanks!


11999190_10155934214935618_2131257031_o 
Word to your book-lovin' mama, it's Readathon time!



Note: This first section was originally posted on October 1st.
Scroll down to Update #1 to get to today's updates.
I love readathons and Dewey's is one of the best.  There are tons of people, which is what makes a readathon so great.  I have loved Dewey's since I began blogging in 2009.  Dewey, very unfortunately, passed on before I began blogging, but I feel like I have gotten to know her somewhat through the wonderful friends who have carried on her brilliant idea in the years since. I could only hope to make such an impact on the lives of my fellow bloggers! 

In the past few readathons I have stuck mainly to Twitter because
a) Twitter is my jam
b) It's easier to keep Twitter updated than the blog during the day

BUT
I want to try going back to this platform again.
I am going to use this post as home base and update it throughout the event.
In the past, I made a new blog post each time, but that's not only more work, it's super annoying when you are going through your feed reader and everyone has 15 Readathon update posts.  I don't want to be that person.  

So the readathon is October 17th.

See you then!




It's 8AM and it is officially DEWEY'S READATHON TIME!!!


I love this event, can you tell?
I think I like the October readathons even more than the ones in April.  Probably because I am more comfortable holing up and reading for an entire day when the air is crisp rather than when it is warm and inviting me to other activities.  Fall does lend itself to "snuggle up with a good book" time.  The leaves have barely begun to change here in NC, but the air is getting chillier, pumpkins are being sold at numerous churches and roadside stalls, and I'm beginning to long for scarf-inclusive outfits. No matter if I hate cold weather, I like scarves. :)

Today I have my Pumpkin Spice candle lit (I don't care if it is basic white girl to love pumpkin spice scent, I totally do), I have my hot tea prepared, I've told the bf I'm busy thankyouverymuch, and I've got my books ready to go.

Yep, getting our book nerd on, baby!

I like to read books specifically for Readathon, but I also like to read in the books I'm already reading some, too, so you will see both of those kinds of updates today.  If you know me, you know I am hella awful at reading one book at a time.  It is not uncommon for me to read 10 books at a time.  So, yeah, don't be surprised to find me doing that today same as always!

Today I am starting off with one of my just-for-the-Readathon reads:

March: Book One by John Lewis, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell

I found it at the library yesterday while looking for a good graphic novel for the 'thon.  I think I found a really good one!  I am excited about it.  Have you read it yet?

Tell me how you are starting your readathon:
What's your 1st book?
What are your supplies?
Where are you reading?


Happy reading, everyone!



You can also find me
@imlostinbooks
Instagram
Goodreads








March was an amazing book.  I now wish I had picked up the next books in the series, as well!
I took a short break in Hour 2 to make and eat a bit of breakfast.
But I picked up Into the Mummy's Tomb and read Poe's story, Some Words With a Mummy.  I am reading this anthology of mummy stories for the R.I.P. X challenge that Readathon Host Extraordinaires Andi and Heather have been hosting for Sept. and Oct.

One thing that is totally THE WORST, though.  I re-published this post and now all the comments have disappeared.


 But please know I can read them still because Disqus has saved them on my moderating panel.  They've only disappeared from the actual post.  So annoying!

This hour I participated in the Shelfie Mini-Challenge.
You can see my entry on Instagram.

Next I am picking up Mila 2.0 Origins: The Fire (Mila 2.0, #.05) by Debra Driza.



What are you reading this hour?

 

 Has it really been 5 hours since my last update?
How is that even possible?
I feel like it hasn't been that long at all.

Well, I finished Origins: The Fire by Debra Driza (decent), as well as We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (brilliant).  I also read a little in 2 books I was already reading, The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman and In Our Backyard by Nita Belles.


I completed the Top 10 Mini-Challenge!  It was fun.

Next up is....I have no idea.  I can't make a decision.

Maybe Burning Girls by Veronica Schanoes.
Maybe The Library of Babel by Jorge Luis Borges.
Maybe Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater.
Maybe The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen.
Maybe Monsieur Proust's Library by Anka Muhestein.
Maybe The Travels of Daniel Archer by Deborah Levy-Bertherat.
Maybe Inherit the Stars by Tessa Elwood.

And you see my dilemma.  I could go on and on.
Maybe I will play meenie-miney-moe.


How is your Readathon going?


  
 
Well, waking up at 1am Saturday morning finally caught up with me and I slept from about 7 or 8pm to midnight.  So now I am downing some caffeine and hoping to make up for lost time in the final 1/3 of the event!

 

So all that talk about what to read led me to pick up a book I didn't even mention -


So far I've read 42 pages and I'm very curious as to what happened to Amelia.  Amnesia, busted up body, skinny as a rail, scared of nightmares of menacing faces and voices.  Pretty interesting stuff!

I participated in the Accio, Cinnamon Rolls Mini-Challenge just now.  That was a lot of fun!  Let's have this challenge again next readathon, shall we?


Okay, gotta get back to reading and make up for lost time!




As always, I didn't read as much as I wanted to.  I haven't done very well in this readathon the past few times.  I always fall asleep for a long stretch and I am totally distracted during the day, no matter how much I plan for it.  I thought reading some short books would be really helpful in the accomplishment area, but I felt like I needed to take a break after finishing each one to reset my brain for my next read and then I lost time.  I might not do that in April.  But, overall, it was another fun event and Heather & Andi are brill and we are all fortunate for their hard work, as well as the hard work of all the cheerleaders, co-hosts, mini-challenge hosts, and all the volunteers!



CLOSING SURVEY:
 
Which hour was most daunting for you?
I read better at night with fewer distractions, so the daylight hours are always hardest for me. 
 
Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
March by John Lewis
Huntress Moon by Alexandra Sokoloff
Harry Potter
The Bone Collector by Jeffrey Deaver
The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran
 
Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
No, Andi and Heather have done great.  I had a personal thing, though. The readathon has gotten huge.  It used to be much more intimate. I think I got overwhelmed with all the readers today on Twitter that I didn't feel like I was really sharing the moment as much as I used to. This is just a personal thing, though, and not something I really expect to change. I'm glad there are so many readers, so maybe in April I will try to follow fewer people as they readathon.

What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?

Having my cheerleader know exactly where I wanted to be cheered.
 
How many books did you read?
3 completed, read in 6 more, 3 of which I was previously reading, 3 started fresh.
 
What were the names of the books you read?
March by John Lewis (completed)
Origins: The Fire (Mila 2.0 #0.5) by Debra Driza (completed)
We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (completed)
 She's Not There by P.J. Parish (started)
In the Backyard by Nita Belles (continued)
The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman (continued)
The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen (started)
Into the Mummy's Tomb, edited by John Richard Stephens (continued)
Esther by Rebecca Kanner (started)
 
Which book did you enjoy most?
It's a tie between March and We Should All Be Feminists.
 
Which did you enjoy least?
Origins: The Fire, but it wasn't a bad read, either.
 
How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
I've been participating in this readathon for 6.5 years.  I am sure I will be participating in many more to come! I would like to be a cheerleader again, though I don't believe I will run a cheerleading team again.  It took too much time away from reading.


How was your readathon? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!