August 6, 2015

Where, When, How: Reading Habits Survey

This short survey asks about reading habits--not what you read, but where, when, and how you read it.

I lifted the questions from Florinda, who lifted them from Suey's blog.


where, when, how: a q&a about reading habits
1. Do you have a certain place at home for reading?
In bed is my favorite place. It's the comfiest place in my house. I have a chair I used to curl up in and read in a lot, but it's getting old and worn out and is not that comfortable anymore.

2. Do you use a bookmark or a random piece of paper?
 
I have a ton of bookmarks. I even make some myself, though I've given most of them away. I always have a bookmark handy. One time I couldn't find one and was running out the door, realizing I was late and bookmarked my print book with my Kindle! lol
 
3. Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop after a chapter or a certain amount of pages?

I can stop reading.  I am not one of those who have to stay up all night to finish a book.  I can delay my gratification. One symptom of A.D.D. I DON'T have. Hallelujah.

4. Do you eat or drink while reading?
If I'm hungry or thirsty, sure.

5. Do you watch TV or listen to music while reading?

I don't watch TV.  How does anyone do that?  But I do listen to music pretty often.  Instrumental music or I will be singing instead of reading.  I made a playlist a couple of years ago that I have added to since and it's almost 100 hours of music just for this purpose.  I use it at least 2-3 times a week.

6. Do you read one book at a time or several at once?

Ha! If you've read my blog for any length of time you know the answer to this!
Or twelve...
 

7. Do you prefer to read at home or anywhere?

I like to read any and everywhere but I do focus better when I am at home with minimal distractions.

8. Do you read out loud or silently?

I read silently, of course- I think most people do. But this made me giggle when I read the question on Florinda's post.  My mother, bless her heart, has a habit of mouthing to herself the words someone is speaking to her, and also tends to do it while she is reading.  You can look over at her and see her mouth going without any words coming out.  It's quite entertaining and has been a running source of good-natured teasing by her family for years.

9. Do you read ahead or skip pages?

I never read ahead, but I have skipped pages before in nonfiction where something doesn't apply to me or it is incredibly boring. I have skimmed through a couple chapters of fiction books before, that were just not getting to the point and I wanted to get to the meat of the conflict.  It's never a good sign, though.

10. Do you break the spine or keep it like new?

I wish I could keep them all like new but I have a bit of arthritis in my hands and sometimes it is hard for me to hold a book open when the spine isn't broken- particularly if it is a thick book or a tall book.  But I try my best not to.

11. Do you write in your books?
Not usually, no. I do tend to write all over religious and spiritual texts as well as books about writing, psychology, teaching, etc. Books where I have a ton of questions or want to reference it later, that kind of thing. I scribble in the margins. When I was in college I underlined every passage I read in the Bible so I could read the whole thing and not repeat parts because I didn't want to have to read the whole thing in order. I've done that a bit with the Bhagavad-Gita as well. But I don't scribble in the margins of fiction books or biographies or anything like that.
Thanks for letting me share with y'all!  I'd love to see other people's answers, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!