August 17, 2015

What I'm Reading 8.17.15


 This week I worked on finishing up two books- one I liked, one I became frustrated with. Three books I did not even get to this week. I still read over 600 pages, though.

So what about you?  
What did you read this past week?  What are you currently reading?
What are you planning to read next? Give me the deets!


FINISHED READING:
 



 The Silver Swan by Elena Delbanca
# of Pages: 241
This Week: 41-100%
Pages Read This Week:143
2 STARS Review to come.

 
Bridger (Bridger #1) by Megan Curd
# of Pages: 258
This Week: 56-100%
Pages Read This Week:114
Thoughts This Week: 4 STARS I was going to start the 2nd one in the series but then I saw the third book in the series was supposed to come out in 2013 and never materialized. Going to find out more if I can. I'd hate to be on an even bigger cliffhanger and be stuck.


CURRENTLY READING:

 REVIEW BOOKS/ARCs:


Becoming Darkness by Lindsay Francis Brambles
On pg. 257 of 485
Pages Read This Week: 53
Thoughts This Week: ooooh.  Not good.  Not good things happening.

 


Rebel Queen by Michelle Moran
*Also qualifies for Travel the World in Books Challenge*
# of Pages: 352
This Week: 54-64%
Pages Read This Week: 35
Thoughts This Week: These pages do not pass very quickly. I felt like I'd read many more pages. I love Moran, but she can do much better. Plus, Sita must be the most vanilla protagonist she has ever written about. The Indian culture is rich, vibrant, and complex. This should be flowing like a rushing river. Instead it is puddles joined by small run-offs.

 

 The Vagabond Vicar by Charlotte Brentwood
# of Pages: 279
This Week: 35-%
Pages Read This Week:0
Thoughts This Week: Didn't get to it this week.

 

 Cold Deception by D.B. Tait
# of Pages: 274
This Week: 34-%
Pages Read This Week:0
Thoughts This Week: Didn't get to it this week.



About a Girl: A Novel by Sarah McCarry
# of Pages: 256
This Week: 37-49%
Pages Read This Week: 31
Thoughts This Week: Now that it is in the part of the story that the blurb reflected, it is getting good. Mysterious girl, mysterious setting, mysterious elusive birth parents.



A History of Glitter and Blood by Hannah Moskowitz
# of Pages: 280
This Week: 22-33%
Pages Read This Week: 31
Thoughts This Week: It's a chaotic kind of storytelling but it is working for me somehow.




BOOK CLUB BOOKS/READALONGS:


The Lovers Set Down Their Spoons by Heather A. Slomski
*Postal Book Club*
On pg. 66 of 146
Pages Read This Week: 0
Thoughts This Week: Didn't get to it this week.



 Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
*#AusteninAugustRBR*
# of Pages: 260
This Week: 13-55%
Pages Read This Week:110
Thoughts This Week: It's so-so. I both like Catherine and find her annoying.
Am I alone with that?


NON-ARCs from TBR Pile (For Fun):
aka Slower Reads generally


The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee
*TBR Pile*
On pg. 202 of 592
Pages Read: 9
Thoughts This Week: Radical mastectomies are scary (not just the breast, but the pec muscles, etc.) and not any more effective than less invasive procedures. Thank goodness for Rachel Carson and friends who were like oh hell no and got people talking.




Angelbound (Angelbound Origins #1) by Christina Bauer
*TBR Pile*
# of Pages: 524
This Week: 53-79%
Pages Read: 136
Thoughts This Week: I always read far more a week in this than I think I am. It's like the opposite of how I felt with The Silver Swan or how I feel with Rebel Queen.  It's not without flaws, but the story is GOOD.



STATS:

Total Books Currently Reading: 10
Total Books Read in 2015: 49
Pages Read This Update: 662
Total Pages Read in 2015: 16,806



REVIEW BOOKS ON DECK:
One of these will be next.







~Have you read any of the books I'm reading?  What did you think of it? 
~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  



Share in the comments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!