August 26, 2015

Review: Rebel Queen by Michelle Moran

The Indian culture is rich, complex, and vibrant.  This book was decidedly...not.

These pages should be flying past, flowing like a rushing river. Instead it is puddles joined by small run-offs - in short, it feels like you've been reading way more than you have.  Not good.

I love Moran. Her first 3 books are 3 of my favorite books of all time.  Her last two books, however, have fallen short, this one in particular. She can do so much better than this.  I'm really disappointed.


Sita is the most vanilla protagonist she has ever written about.  She is interesting for approx. 1/4 to 1/3 of the book.  This is not to say she is not likeable - she is.  But she could not hold my interest past the first 1/4 of the book and then a chapter or two near the end.  The rest of the time I was reading I contemplated why Moran wouldn't pick the Rani (the Queen) to write about, or I contemplated why Moran has gone downhill in her storytelling.  Did she peak too soon?  It can't be easy to live up to the expectations readers have after Nefertiti and The Heretic Queen.  I know it is not because she is disinterested in the culture.  There were sections where she was able to give the culture due reverence, but most of the time I was like really?  Really?

At any rate, I'm glad I read it, but I won't read it again like I have her first books. I am glad she is returning to her roots in writing about Egypt because there's no way I'd pick up another book by her on India. I love India too much for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!