July 17, 2015

Review: The Haunting of Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie

Description:

In that place where you're more asleep than awake any more, I hear something else. A phrase uttered in a child's voice, no more than a whisper: Night Night.

Something freaky's going on with Sunshine's new house . . . there's the chill that wraps itself around her bones, the giggling she can hear in the dead of night, and then the strange shadows that lurk in her photographs. But the more weird stuff that happens, the less her mum believes her. Sunshine's always had a quirky affiliation with the past, but this time, history is getting much too close for comfort . . .

If there is something, or someone, haunting her house, what do they want? And what will they do if Sunshine can't help them?

As things become more frightening and dangerous, and the giggles she hears turn to sobs and screams, Sunshine has no choice but to accept what she is, face the test before her and save her mother from a fate worse than death.

The first in a frighteningly good new series based on the popular YouTube sensation The Haunting of Sunshine Girl Network, created by Paige McKenzie.



Review:

I LOVED this book.  Truly seriously adored it.  It was a spooky page-turner taut with suspense and mystery.

I loved that this wasn't the same paranormal story I've read a thousand times.  It was different.  There was something I had never even heard of before.  I'm sorry, but to me, that deserves it's own star on the rating scale.

The book deal came about after the huge popularity of the YouTube channel.  I had not seen the videos so I went to watch them after I read the book so I could compare them to one another.  Well, let's just say I much preferred the book to the videos.  Probably mostly because the videos did not, in my opinion, have the same feel as the book.  Even the book trailer was kind of...off..somehow.  In the videos, Sunshine (played by Paige McKenzie) is kind of all over the place.  Makes sense because that is your typical teenager. But in the book she feels much more grounded in who she is and what she believes. Not only that but Sunshine is such an old soul.  The Sunshine in the videos was very different than the Sunshine in my head.  Yes, in the book Sunshine is still sort of dorky and doesn't curse (which was odd) and rambles a lot, but she also comes across as giving ZERO FUCKS about what other people think of her.  Except maybe Nolan but even with him she's like "dude, there is a ghost in my house. Let us catch this mofo."  I mean this chick has a taxidermied owl in her bedroom as one of her most prized possessions.



I love that this is a spooky read without being terrifying, with the suspense built up at a steady pace.  I like that it's not just "ack! scary ghost! let's be stupid girls in stupid horror movies!"  It's psychological as much as it is scary in a physical way. Also, it's not just about the scary ghost story, but it is a true paranormal story.  If you just want to be scared without much else of a plot, this might not be the story for you.  If you like YA paranormal stories and are looking for something out of the ordinary in this genre, then I recommend picking this one up.

Personally, I am gonna need a sequel ASAP. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!