June 15, 2015

What I'm Reading, Y'all! 6.15.15




I got some spectacular reading accomplished this week.  I finished three books this week, but reluctantly DNF'd a fourth book.  I also re-shelved Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult for another time, realizing it was just not what I wanted to be reading right now, but made progress in every book I'm reading, even if it was only a chapter.
So here are all the things I'm reading right now. 
What about you?  What did you read this week?


FINISHED READING:


 The Haunting of Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie
Goodreads Link
This Week: 51-100%
Pages Read:155
Thoughts: Review coming soon.



Guyana by Elise Turcotte, Translated by Rhonda Mullins
*For Review*
*Travel the World in Books*
This Week: 62-100%
Pages Read This Week: 91
Thoughts: Review to come.



American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
*Library Loot*
Pages Read: 233
Thoughts: 3.5 stars

 

DNF:
 


Peace Like a River by Lief Enger
On pg. 70 of 312
Pages Read:
Thoughts: I really, REALLY hate the idea of DNF'ing a book for book club, but while the plot and characters are interesting it takes chapters and chapters for just one thing to happen.  It's like everything in the book is happening in slow motion.



CURRENTLY READING:

REVIEW BOOKS/ARCs:



I Am Not a Slut: Slut-Shaming in the Age of the Internet by Leora Tanenbaum
Goodreads Link
This Week: 19-24%
Pages Read: 15
Thoughts: "Conley responds, "When you take into account stigma and backlash (and safety concerns), females do not differ from males in their sexual desire. Thus, a female who expresses sexual desire is not deviant; there is zero biological basis for the concept of a slut." - BAM.
 
 

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon
This Week: 27-60%
Pages Read This Week: 106
Thoughts: This book is sooo good and I am deliberately putting it down every so often because I want it to last.  A multi-ethnic, chronically-ill, awesome protagonist and a great pace = amazing.


NON-ARCs (For Fun):



The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee
*Needed a NF Fix*
On pg. 128 of 592
Pages Read: 12
Thoughts: So glad I got time to fit in a chapter this week.  I'm ignoring this one too much.



A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
On pg. 142 of 332
Pages Read This Week:15
Thoughts: This is ok, but I'm liking Old Man and the Sea better still.


 
Huntress Moon by Alexandra Sokoloff
*Gift from Sandie*
On pg. 79 of 382
Pages Read: 30
Thoughts: This blonde woman gets more and more mysterious.





Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
*Library Loot*
On pg. 85 of 896
Pages Read:19
Thoughts: Liking it.



Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2) by Deborah Harkness
*Library Loot*
On pg. 43 of 584
Pages Read: 43
Thoughts: Took me a while to get into it since they timespin or whatever they call it at the end of book one and book 2 is where they end up, with new characters except for the main 2.




BOOK CLUB BOOKS/READALONGS:




The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
*Travel the World in Books June Readalong*
On pg. 90 of 648
Pages Read:16
Thoughts: So far so good, but I'm behind a bit for the schedule.  Gotta catch up this week.


STATS:

Total Books Currently Reading: 8
Total Books Read in 2015: 37
Pages Read This Update: 735
Total Pages Read in 2015: 11768


REVIEW BOOKS UP NEXT:
I switched up the order of some of the books. My prerogative. 
One of these will be next.
  







 ~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  
~Have you read any of the books I'm reading?  What did you think of it?




Share in the comments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!