May 4, 2015

What I'm Reading 5.4.15


Hello, readers!  How was your week?  I got some good reading done this week. Or at least it felt that way.  I read less than I normally do even though I feel like I was reading a lot this week.  Odd.

I finally finished Rodin's Lover after having to put it off for so long.  I really loved it.  I also started At the Water's Edge, finally, as well as a YA post-apoc book just for the fun of it.

I am still chugging my way through the three anthologies I've got going.  I can't say I've ever before read more than one anthology at a time.  New horizons, there.

What did you read this week?  Tell me about it!


FINISHED READING:



Rodin's Lover by Heather Webb
*For Review from Publisher*
This Week: 66-100%
Pages Read This Week: 109
Thoughts: Review to come soon.



CURRENTLY READING:

REVIEW BOOKS/ARCs:


Spinster: Making a Life of One's Own by Kate Bolick
*For Review from Publisher and Net Galley*
This Week: 28-40%
Pages Read This Week: 40
Thoughts: I feel this is more like a multiple biography novel with bios of the lives of women she has admired, and less anything to do with her. She talks about these women much more than herself. I understand she was heavily influenced and obsessed by these women, but it is a little strange. I find her inspirations interesting, though. I'd like to read some of their work.



Talent for Humanity: Stories of Creativity, Compassion, and Courage to Inspire You
by Patrick Gaffney
*For Review from Publisher and Net Galley*
This Week: 33-44%
Pages Read This Week: 23
Thoughts: This is my favorite memoir/inspirational true story so far.  Singer and producer Aliza Hava, whom you might know from her International Peace Day concert programs.



Where Women are Kings by Christie Watson
*For Review from Other Press*
On pg. 69 of 256
Pages Read: 25
Thoughts: I feel like I'm reading two different authors sometimes. The chapters with Elijah's birth mother are beautiful and almost poetic. Then the chapters with Elijah and his adopted family are rambly and laid-back. Maybe it is to convey his mother's intensity or maybe she is supposed to be almost otherworldly in his eyes? I'm not sure at this point.



At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen
*For Review from Publisher and Net Galley*
This Week: 0-11%
Pages Read: 40
Thoughts: I was taken in by the prologue, then it lagged when it got to the real story. So we will see.


NON-ARCs (For Fun):



The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee
Goodreads Link
*Needed a NF Fix*
On pg. 73 of 592
Pages Read: 0
Thoughts: Didn't get to this one this week.



The Book of Love, edited by Diane Ackerman and Jeanne Mackin
*For Fun*
On pg. 37 of 827
Pages Read: 17
Thoughts: One excerpt I really liked, two that were boring. Such as it goes with an anthology/collection from various sources.



Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions by Neil Gaiman
*Started during Readathon*
On pg. 159 of 340
Pages Read: 51
Thoughts: I liked the first several stories I read but since then? Not so much. Good ideas, poorly executed, especially the endings. The story Virus was good until the last two lines, which could have been written way better.  I liked Shoggoth's Old Peculiar a lot but it just sort of ended without building up enough creepy to make it worthwhile.  The White Road and Queen's Knives and Changes were all just plain bad. This is my first Gaiman and I hope there are more hits in the latter half of this book. He needs to convince me to give him another shot.  His work is feeling very "high school creative writing class."  I'm not even kidding.  I'm bummed I'm not liking the stories more.



The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
*Readathon*
On pg. 177 of 688
Pages Read This Week: 19
Thoughts: A re-read of one of my faves - The Fall of the House of Usher.  Poe really comes into his own with this own and it is when he first becomes the master of the short story suspense.



Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu
*Needed a YA dystopian fix*
On pg. 37 of 305
Pages Read This Week: 37
Thoughts: I needed a book that was really plot-driven.  I've been reading a lot of character-driven books lately. I saw this on my bookshelf when I was considering this and picked it up. I like the premise and the characters are both interesting. It's off to a good start.


BOOK CLUB BOOKS/READALONGS:
none


STATS:

Total Books Currently Reading: 9
Total Books Read in 2015: 30
Pages Read This Update: 361
Total Pages Read in 2015: 9057

Hoping to hit 10,000 pages by the half-year mark!


REVIEW BOOKS UP NEXT:


  


 




~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  




Share in the comments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!