May 18, 2015

What I'm Reading 5.18.15


Hello, readers!  This update is for the past two weeks. I have issues with my computer from time to time because it is ornery like an old man.  Last week Google Chrome and Microsoft both stopped working.  I'm able to get online now using Firefox but no idea how to fix whatever happened.  No time or energy to deal with it either.  Busy, busy around here and I am tired. lol

I got a lot of reading done, though, what with no online time.  Funny how that works!  I hit the 10,000 pages read mark, so that feels good!

What did you read this week?  Tell me about it!


FINISHED READING:



Spinster: Making a Life of One's Own by Kate Bolick
*For Review from Publisher and Net Galley*
This Week: 40-100%
Pages Read This Week: 192
Thoughts: Read review here.



Talent for Humanity: Stories of Creativity, Compassion, and Courage to Inspire You
by Patrick Gaffney
*For Review from Publisher and Net Galley*
This Week: 44-100%
Pages Read This Week: 117
Thoughts: 4 Stars



Where Women are Kings by Christie Watson
*For Review from Other Press*
Pages Read: 187
Thoughts: Read review here.



Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions by Neil Gaiman
*Started during Readathon*
On pg. 159 of 340
Pages Read:181
Thoughts: I enjoyed a few of the stories but wasn't impressed overall.  Review to come.



CURRENTLY READING:

REVIEW BOOKS/ARCs:


At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen
*For Review from Publisher and Net Galley*
This Week: 11-39%
Pages Read:103
Thoughts: Half the time I like it, half the time I'm like get on with it.



 The Haunting of Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie
Goodreads Link
This Week: 0-5%
Pages Read: 15
Thoughts: Already spooky.



I Am Not a Slut: Slut-Shaming in the Age of the Internet by Leora Tanenbaum
Goodreads Link
This Week: 0-5%
Pages Read: 15
Thoughts: Read the intro.
  



NON-ARCs (For Fun):



The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee
Goodreads Link
*Needed a NF Fix*
On pg. 107 of 592
Pages Read: 34
Thoughts: I appreciate learning how radium's properties were discovered and exactly how the Curies discovered it would attack DNA. It was disturbing to read about how a company used radium - knowing it's dangers - to make glow-in-the-dark paint for watches and encouraged workers to "lick the brushes with their tongues to produce sharp lettering on watches."  You can guess how that turned out.




The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
*Readathon*
On pg. 228 of 688
Pages Read This Week: 51
Thoughts: I might put this one down for a bit and come back to it later.  It is, after all, short stories.  I can come back whenever I want.



Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu
*Needed a YA dystopian fix*
On pg. 197 of 305
Pages Read This Week: 160
Thoughts: Slow to get going but now I'm hooked.




A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
On pg. 28 of 332
Pages Read This Week: 28
Thoughts: More rambly than Old Man and the Sea, but so far so good still.



BOOK CLUB BOOKS/READALONGS:
none


STATS:

Total Books Currently Reading: 7
Total Books Read in 2015: 34
Pages Read This Update: 1083
Total Pages Read in 2015:10140

Cool!  I hit 10,000 pages read in 2015 already!


REVIEW BOOKS UP NEXT:

  



 

~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  




Share in the comments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!