May 7, 2015

What Do You Think #18: Is There A Shortage of Fresh Ideas?



Am I just getting jaded, or is there nothing new under the sun?

I've been blogging six years and in the beginning everything felt new and fresh.  Brand new ideas were popping up everywhere.  Now that it has been a few years and now that the community has blown up so much, I feel like brand new ideas are actually often regurgitated ideas.  And I think probably every blogger has done it at some point and not even realized it. Not only that, but if you're a veteran blogger you've probably seen your ideas pop up elsewhere as brand new ideas.  Maybe they have to do with your current blogging platform or maybe a feature you once had that you took a break from has suddenly popped up somewhere else.  It's probably inevitable with this many book bloggers.  We can't even come up with blog names anymore that aren't already taken.  I have more than one instance of more than one blog on my news feed with the same name. There is another blog with my name.  There is another What Do You Think Thursday meme.  There are multiple posts about Currently, which I remember journaling about a couple of years ago.  There is always a new post about something you wrote about last year or last month to the exact same effect. 

It gets weird sometimes, but like I said, it's probably inevitable and we probably all do it at this point without even realizing it.  I am sure I do it without realizing it, too.  Maybe I came up with something I thought was new one time and someone else was already doing it.  I think that is why a lot of us veteran bloggers are beginning to get back to basics and kicking it old-school.  I know there are new ideas out there but I feel like they are few and far between.  I am happy when I run across them though.

What do you think?   Do you feel like there is a shortage of fresh ideas in the book blogging community?  Do you ever feel jaded that there are no new ideas, just old ideas reborn?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!