April 27, 2015

What I'm Reading 4.27.15


Hello, readers!  How was your weekend?  Mine could've been better.  I spent most of it coming down off of some pain meds the doctor had me trying out.  I was nauseous and sleeping most of Friday and Saturday. So, I missed out on over half the readathon but I got in about 6-7 hours during the night and read some short stories by Gaiman and Poe.  I was glad I got the chance to do it, even if it was less participation than I was aiming for.  I'm feeling better now, though, and hoping for a good week ahead!

What did you read this week?


FINISHED READING:




A Man Called Ove: A Novel by Fredrik Backman
*Book Club*
On pg. 137 of 337
Pages Read: 200
Thoughts: After reading both this and Lost & Found by Brooke Davis, I've decided that books that rely solely on a quirky character without much of a plot are not for me.  I love the quirky characters but after about 100, 150 pages I am tired of them.  I love quirky characters, but I need more than just that.


CURRENTLY READING:

REVIEW BOOKS/ARCs:


Rodin's Lover by Heather Webb
*For Review from Publisher*
This Week: 60-66%
Pages Read This Week: 19
Thoughts: Still like it. Hopefully can finish it this next week!



Spinster: Making a Life of One's Own by Kate Bolick
*For Review from Publisher and Net Galley*
This Week: 28-28%
Pages Read This Week: 0
Thoughts: I didn't get to this one this week.



Talent for Humanity: Stories of Creativity, Compassion, and Courage to Inspire You
by Patrick Gaffney
*For Review from Publisher and Net Galley*
This Week: 22-33%
Pages Read This Week: 23
Thoughts: Seriously motivating stories in here. 



Where Women are Kings by Christie Watson
*For Review from Other Press*
On pg. 44 of 256
Pages Read: 16
Thoughts: So I'm thinking Elijah is possessed perhaps?  Or maybe mentally ill?



NON-ARCs (For Fun):



The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee
Goodreads Link
*Needed a NF Fix*
On pg. 73 of 592
Pages Read: 22
Thoughts: I really like this.



The Book of Love, edited by Diane Ackerman and Jeanne Mackin
*For Fun*
On pg. 20 of 827
Pages Read: 12
Thoughts: It's fun to read a passage every once in a while.  Right now I'm reading excerpts taken from ancient fictional works (think Gilgamesh, Ancient Egypt, etc.)



Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions by Neil Gaiman
*Started during Readathon*
On pg. 108 of 340
Pages Read: 108
Thoughts: Great stories, mostly.  It's my first Gaiman and I'm glad I chose this as my first introduction to the author.



The Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
Goodreads Link
*Readathon*
On pg. 158 of 688
Pages Read This Week: 113
Thoughts: I'm not a fan of Poe's earlier short stories.  There is definite improvement with time, in my opinion.


BOOK CLUB BOOKS/READALONGS:
none


STATS:

Total Books Currently Reading: 8
Total Books Read in 2015: 29
Pages Read This Update: 513
Total Pages Read in 2015: 8696

Hoping to hit 10,000 pages by the half-year mark!


REVIEW BOOKS UP NEXT:


  


 




~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  




Share in the comments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!