March 16, 2015

What I'm Reading 3.16.15


I finished reading two books this week that I've been working on a while.  I also snuck in a review cookbook that took all of 15 minutes to read. 

I'm plugging away at the books I need to finish for the book tours at the beginning of April. Luckily they are both excellent reads.  I also began a new review book (besides the tour book I started) that has the POV of an elephant! 

Here's a look at what I read this week:


FINISHED READING:



The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
*Library Loot*
On pg. 362 of 453
Pages Read This Week: 91
Thoughts: You can read my review here.



1,000 Foods to Eat Before You Die by Mimi Sheraton
Goodreads Link
*For Review* *For Travel the World in Books*
Pages Read This Week: 324
Thoughts: Review to come, but I want to say that I am disappointed at how biased this collection is toward European and Western cuisines.



Serbian Cooking: Popular Recipes from the Balkan Region
by Danijela Kracun and Charles McFadden
*For Review*
*Not counting pages on this one*
Thoughts: This is a simple cookbook just filled with recipes.  I would love to try the recipes for Plum Dumplings, Christmas Bread, and Cupavci. Other than the introduction there is not any other writing on culture - just the recipes. The focus is on the food. The photographs included are amateur but serve the purpose and the food still looks delicious, unlike amateur photographs in restaurant menus, ha.



CURRENTLY READING:

REVIEW BOOKS/ARCs:


The Panopticon by Jenni Fagan
*For Review from Publisher*
This Week: 45-57%
Pages Read This Week: 34
Thoughts: Amazing beginning, then it dragged, then at the halfway mark, it blew up and all kinds of amazingness and every other page has a quote that needs to be hung on a billboard somewhere. It was like a punch in the gut.



Lost & Found by Brooke Davis
*For Review from Hachette*
On pg. 119 of 272
Pages Read This Week: 18
Thoughts: I love Agatha. That is all.



Rodin's Lover by Heather Webb
*For Review from
This Week: 24-27%
Pages Read This Week: 10
Thoughts: Just one chapter. Just enough to keep up with the story while I'm trying to finish two other books about France that need to be finished sooner.



The Witch of Painted Sorrows by M.J. Rose
Goodreads Link
*For Review for France Book Tours*
On pg. 172 or 384
Pages Read: 77
Thoughts: This book is excellent.  Loving it so far. 



Crane by Stacey Rourke
*For Review from Publisher and Net Galley*
This Week: 23-35%
Pages Read: 27
Thoughts: Well Rip Van Winkle is about as much help as a coma patient in solving this mystery.  And Mason is sketchy plus.



Mademoiselle Chanel by C.W. Gortner
*For Review for France Book Tours*
On pg. 50 of 384
Pages Read This Week: 50
Thoughts:  This is the 3rd book I'm reading taking place in France at the beginning of the 20th century. Somehow I'm not getting the story lines mixed up at all. I'm pretty impressed with that! lol  This one and The Witch of Painted Sorrows are the two book tour books I referenced above.



The Tusk That Did the Damage: A Novel by Tania James
*For Review from Publisher and Edelweiss*
This Week: 0-10%
Pages Read: 24
Thoughts: Tells the story from the point of view of Gravedigger, an elephant orphaned by poachers, but also tells the story from the POVs of poacher and filmmaker. I already want to know how this all comes together.


NON-ARCs (For Fun):


Daughter of the Gods by Stephanie Thornton
*TBR Pile*
On pg. 127 of 442
Pages Read This Week: 36
Thoughts: Liking it. Hatshepsut is a force.



The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee
Goodreads Link
*Needed a NF Fix*
On pg. 14 of 592
Pages Read: 0
Thoughts: This is just a palate cleanser so if I don't get to it, I don't get to it.



BOOK CLUB BOOKS/READALONGS:


The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
*For Travel the World in Books March Readalong*
On pg. 82 of 487
Pages Read This Week: 25
Thoughts: Starting on Part Two next. My attention wandered a little through the whole Clara thing, but I like that it is back centered around J.C.



STATS:

Total Books Currently Reading: 10
Total Books Read in 2015: 18 
(not counting Serbian Cooking)
Pages Read This Update: 716
Total Pages Read in 2015: 5987




REVIEW BOOKS UP NEXT:



Maybe I can begin Food Junkies now that I am done with 1,000 Foods to Eat.
The Shadow of the Crescent Moon is next, though.







~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  


Share in the comments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!