March 29, 2015

LGBTQ Lit: Quality Books to Read


March is Women's History Month.  Every March at I'm Lost in Books I spin that into the Women's Lit Event celebrating female authors and their work.  I have some lovely authors and bloggers who will be sharing with us.  Today please welcome a very special guest blogger, Avery.  She's the daughter of Jennifer of The Relentless Reader.  She's fifteen and she's kind of awesome.  Leave her a comment at the end and give her some love. :)






Gay Lit

As a young gay reader I always want to read books I can relate to. That's one of the main things that really makes a book great, in my opinion. Naturally, I keep my eyes open for books with queer characters but I've never really been one to actively seek out queer books. Mostly because there are so many that aren't of quality. There are too many clichés, too much poor writing, and too many LGBTQ+ books made into weird erotica.

There should be representation for every letter in LGBTQ+, but I'm mainly focused on the L, of course. I think it's so important for there to be more lesbians in books. Main characters are almost always straight and much of YA Lit is dedicated to love stories. As a lesbian it’s hard to relate to straight characters, and it’s doubly hard to relate to straight romances.

Luckily, I have a very supportive family and I don't struggle with being comfortable with my sexuality. But there are so many young people who do have issues and representation is key in making them feel like less of an oddity.

I don't want this post to be negative so let’s get into where you can find some good queer books. First, here are two books that I personally recommend:


38990  20312458
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
Tell Me Again How a Crush Should Feel by Sara Farizan


Here are a few websites where you can find LGBTQ+ literature, too:


Please leave Avery a comment!  
Have you read LGBTQ lit yet?
What books on LGBTQ have you read?  
Do you recommend them?  
What are your thoughts on finding gay lit without the stereotypes or lackluster plots/writing?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!