January 19, 2015

What I'm Reading This Week - 1.19.15



This week I read a lot a lot a lot.  

And I'm reading a lot a lot a lot of books at the same time.  I always read at least 5-6 but right now whoosh so many.  I just can't wait to start things and I get too excited to wait.  I'm like a kid sometimes - where is my ability to wait?  

I finished reading The Pearl this week and I also read a cute little book from the library.  I started a couple of new review books that are going really well and I read a lot in all of my other books I have going.  

At the bottom I added a lot of the review books I need to start next.  Are you reviewing any of them as well?  Or have reviewed?

Here is how my week's been----


FINISHED READING:





The Pearl by John Steinbeck
*For The Classics Club*
Pages Read This Week: 70
Thoughts: I still haven't figured out my thoughts on this one.  The ending was just..so...
Yeah, I can't put it into words yet.


115067

Haiku U: From Aristotle to Zola, 100 Great Books in 17 Syllables by David M. Bader
*For Fun from the Library*
Pages Read: Not counting since it was 3 lines a page
Thoughts: This book was a little unbalanced, but mostly laugh out loud funny.  Review to come because it's too fun not to share!



House of Odd by Dean Koontz
*Just Because/Library Loot*
Pages Read: 216
Thoughts: Creepy and I liked the way the mystery was solved, but the cell phone bit was lame.




Stained by Ella James
*Just for Fun*
Read This Week: 50-100%
Pages Read: 127
Thoughts: Stained was one of those books where I just had to know how it ended and raced toward it, but once I found out the conclusion, I didn't much care.  I don't know what that means - did I enjoy it or not?


ABANDONED/DNF:




Mindspeak (Mindspeak #1) by Heather Sunseri
*For Fun*
Thoughts: I was already hedging because it was slow and the writing is rudimentary (like an E4 tornado? Really?) Then I noticed I somehow skipped 60 pages in the book on my phone, and it took me 15 pages to notice. That's how much was exactly the same. How can it not really make any difference when you skip a quarter of the book?!? I think I will move on now.



CURRENTLY READING:

REVIEW BOOKS/ARCs:



Beginner's Guide to Abstract Art by Laura Reiter
*For Review from Net Galley*
On pg. 15 of 73
Read This week: 15
Thoughts: I can't wait to try all the different techniques.



1,000 Foods to Eat Before You Die by Mimi Sheraton
Goodreads Link
*For Review* *For Travel the World in Books Foodie February*
On pg. 50 of 1,008
Pages Read This Week: 50
Thoughts: I've read through British & Irish cuisine and now I'm on to French.




The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant
*For Review from Publisher and Edelweiss*
Read This Week: 12-46%
Pages Read: 87
Thoughts: Well that section broke my heart!  I'm rooting for Addie.



The Last Breath by Kimberly Belle
*For Review from Harlequin*
This Week: 0-7%
Pages Read: 28
Thoughts: Belle writes very beautifully. I keep highlighting passages!




Good Catholics: The Battle Over Abortion in the Catholic Church by Patricia Miller
Goodreads Link
*For Review from Edelweiss*
This Week: 0-4%
Pages Read This Week: 14
Thoughts: I've been interested in this subject for a while, being both Catholic and pro-choice.  The first part is a lot about the history of how contraception and the Church became two sides of a coin, as well as some history on the first theologians to challenge this dogma in the 1960s.  Lots of good information I did not know.


From the TBR Pile(s):



The Wonder of Ordinary Magic by Lilli Jougren Day
*Just for Fun*
So Far: 27-43%
Pages Read: 40
Thoughts: Bobby, the guy in the coma, is my favorite character.  I hope he pulls out of this!




The Three by Sarah Lotz
*Just for Fun*
On pg. 125 of 467
Pages Read This Week: 44
Thoughts: Enter the religious nut bag's doomday theory.  I don't know why I thought the doomsdayer would be someone other than the pastor.  



Savage Girl: A Novel by Jean Zimmerman
*Just for Fun*
On pg. 134 of 402
Pages Read This Week: 46
Thoughts: It is interesting again!  Glad I stuck with it.


BOOK CLUB BOOKS/READALONGS:



The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
*Travel the World in Books January Readalong*
On pg.159 of 546
Pages Read This Week: 58
Thoughts: I'm totally behind in the readalong but I am not going to freak since I've read it before.  I am enjoying the discussions, though, and seeing how everyone else reacts to things that happen and what they think of certain characters, like Nathan.




Be Safe I Love You by Cara Hoffman
Goodreads Link
*Postcard Mailbox Book Club*
On pg. 46 of 289
Pages Read This Week: 21
Thoughts: The pace is slow but I do like that Hoffman doesn't throw everything at you at once, which is how PTSD actually develops.  Realistic.



STATS:

Total Books Currently Reading: 10
Total Books Read in 2015: 6
Pages Read This Update: 816
Total Pages Read in 2015: 1638




REVIEW BOOKS UP NEXT:






 





~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  
Share in the comments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!