January 12, 2015

What I'm Reading This Week: 1/12/15



Boy, am I exhausted.  

December was full, full, full, and this past week I have to say I just had to crash.  I have been too tired to do much of anything.  I think I saw my best friend once, and cleaned house for about 30 minutes one day, other than that I was resting.  Didn't hang out with John (the bf) or go to the gym and I didn't have any physical therapy appointments or any other appts.  And thank goodness, too, because I was worthless this week.  This week it will be back to business, though, so hopefully my body has had its fill of siestas. 

Sometimes being down with the fibro flare-ups means lots of reading.  Sometimes it means I'm too tired to focus to read.  This week was an in-between week.


FINISHED READING:




That Others May Live by Jack Brehm and Pete Nelson
*For NonFiction November*
Pages Read This Week: 54
Thoughts: I finally finished it!  Only took um 2 months. :)  Interesting book, though.  It was good to get a different perspective on what PJs do.  My bf, John, has told me a lot about his experience as a PJ, but still it was an interesting foray into the mind and day-to-day of a PJ. I really empathized with Jack's wife and what she went through, too, and appreciated that perspective. John and Jack have similar complex characters and I really saw how much of his military life probably shaped John.  I loved talking to John about the book, too.



ABANDONED/DNF:



Land Where I Flee by Prajwal Parajuly
*For Review and for Travel the World in Books*
Thoughts: My first DNF of the year.  :(  Although I usually love reading stories taking place within this culture, I could not connect with the characters and the plot was moving too slowly.  If it had been one or the other, I think I could've kept going.  However, both issues made it too much of a struggle.


CURRENTLY READING:


The Wonder of Ordinary Magic by Lilli Jougren Day
*Just for Fun*
So Far: 16-27%
Pages Read: 27
Thoughts: Great story, great characters.  Slow pace, but the rest is making up for it.




Savage Girl: A Novel by Jean Zimmerman
*Just for Fun*
On pg. 88 of 402
Pages Read This Week: 34
Thoughts: Finally the story is picking back up.  I got lost there for a minute when Savage Girl went missing. I guess I missed the Savage Girl!  



Stained by Ella James
*Just for Fun*
Read This Week: 26-50%
Pages Read: 61
Thoughts: I go back and forth on whether I totally love this or I feel like it is meh.  Right now I am leaning towards yay! and What's gonna happen?!?



Mindspeak (Mindspeak #1) by Heather Sunseri
*For Fun*
On pg. 45 of 396
Read This Week: 14
Thoughts: It is good but at the same time I feel like I've read much more than I have.  Maybe because it is a Nook Book and I only have Nook on my phone and I am turning the page constantly.



The Three by Sarah Lotz
*Just for Fun*
On pg. 81 of 467
Pages Read This Week: 0
Thoughts: I didn't get to this this week. Not because it isn't good, because it really is.



The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
*Travel the World in Books January Readalong*
On pg. 159 of 546
Pages Read This Week: 95
Thoughts: I'm a little behind the readalong schedule but only by about 30 pages. It's my third read of this book.  I love it just as much this time around!




Be Safe I Love You by Cara Hoffman
Goodreads Link
*Postcard Mailbox Book Club*
On pg. 25 of 289
Pages Read This Week:
Thoughts: Okay so far.



The Pearl by John Steinbeck
*For The Classics Club*
On pg. 20 of 90
Pages Read This Week: 20
Thoughts: I thought the book might be about finding the pearl, but since they just did, I suppose the book will be about how the pearl did not solve all their problems? 



The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant
*For Review from Publisher and Edelweiss*
Read This Week: 0-12%
Pages Read: 31
Thoughts: I have heard from 2 different reviewers I trust that this book was underwhelming, so going in with expectations low.  However, so far it is a pretty quick read.  I'm interested.  Fingers crossed I stay that way!



STATS:

Total Books Currently Reading: 7
Total Books Read in 2015: 2
Pages Read This Update: 361
Pages Read in 2015: 822




REVIEW BOOKS UP NEXT:







~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  
Share in the comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!