January 5, 2015

What I'm Reading Mondays - 1/5/15



The last month has been cra-zy.  Family was in town and I didn't get a lot of reading done.  But here's the progress I have made since my last update at the beginning of December. The page numbers will say "Read This Week" because I didn't feel like changing the form, which is true yet for a couple of them it is during the month.


How has your reading been?  What book did you start 2015 off with?


FINISHED READING:




Christmas with the Laird (Christmas Around the World #3) by Scarlet Wilson
*For Review*
Read So Far: 57-100%
Pages Read: no information on this
Thoughts: This was a book out of my comfort zone, but Wilson wrote characters and a story that did not make me want to poke my own eyes out from the saccharine sweetness of romance. There was actually meat to the story and multi-dimensional characters.



The Descartes Highlands by Eric Gamalinda
*For Review from Akashic Books and Edelweiss*
*For Travel the World in Books Challenge*
3.5 STARS
This Week: 38-100%
Pages Read This Week: 186
Thoughts: This was a very literary book.  It was more about getting the reader to think and assess than it was just telling the story and that's the end of it.  This was a translation from the French Gamalinda wrote it in.



The Key (True Reign #1) by Jennifer Anne Davis
*Just for Fun*
4 STARS
Read This Time: 56-100%
Pages Read: 150
Thoughts: Loved it!  I feel like this is like The Queen of the Tearling, only done first and better.  Why isn't this one being made into a movie?



A Game for Swallows: To Die, To Leave, To Return by Zeina Abirached
4 STARS
Pages Read: 188
Thoughts: I did not go to the library expecting to find this book, but I am glad I did!  It is the story of a Lebanese family one night during the Lebanese Civil War in 1984 when the children's parents disappear.  Despite the heavy backdrop, the story is actually pretty whimsical.



CURRENTLY READING:


The Wonder of Ordinary Magic by Lilli Jougren Day
*Just for Fun*
So Far: 0-16%
Pages Read: 41
Thoughts: I really want to know the deal with coma guy.



That Others May Live by Jack Brehm and Pete Nelson
*For NonFiction November*
On pg. 250 of 304
Pages Read This Week: 134
Thoughts: I swear I'm going to finish this book this week. It's getting a little drawn out at this point, and many of the missions are in the water, which is great but gets old.  The rescue mission on the mountain was way interesting, but it, too, was drawn out.



Land Where I Flee by Prajwal Parajuly
*For Review and for Travel the World in Books*
So Far: 11-24%
Pages Read: 35
Thoughts: Ooh, girl.  There is about to be some family drama up in HERE.



Savage Girl: A Novel by Jean Zimmerman
*Just for Fun*
On pg. 54 of 402
Pages Read: 22
Thoughts: This is an intriguing premise so I'm not sure why I haven't devoured it, other than new shiny books have caught my attention.  Oh, and no time during the holidays.  Still.



Stained by Ella James
*Just for Fun*
Read This Week: 7-26%
Pages Read: 48
Thoughts: A new element came into play.  I'm curious what that's all about.



Mindspeak (Mindspeak #1) by Heather Sunseri
*For Fun*
On pg. 31 of 396
Read This Week: 31
Thoughts: What is Jack's deal?  What is Lexi's father's deal? Questions I need answers to!



The Three by Sarah Lotz
*Just for Fun*
*Recommended to me (and given to me!) by Jennifer*
On pg. 81 of 467
Pages Read This Week: 81
Thoughts: Um, I LOVE this story!!  Creepy and moving, realistic and fantastical all at the same time!



The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Goodreads Link
*Travel the World in Books January Readalong*
On pg. 64 of 546
Pages Read This Week: 64
Thoughts: This is one of my FAVORITE books of all time.  It made me fall back in love with reading after years of avoiding books because of the horrible ones I was forced to read in high school.  I thought maybe books were not for me if they were all like Lord of the Flies and The Scarlet Letter (gah, I hate those two books).  This book is just beautiful writing with a crazy interesting plot, set in the 1960s Congo.



STATS:

Total Books Currently Reading: 8
Total Books Read in 2014: 103
Total Books Read in 2015: 1
Pages Read This Update: 980
Pages Read in 2015: 461






REVIEW BOOKS UP NEXT:







~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  
Share in the comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!