January 5, 2015

What Do You Think? - Predictions of Twists




These questions came up in the book The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin and I thought they were great discussion questions:  "Is a twist less satisfying if you know it's coming?  Is a twist that you can't predict symptomatic of bad construction?"


I found when reading We Were Liars by E. Lockhart that even knowing there was a twist at all made it less satisfying.  That I figured it out early on made it even less exciting.  I still thought it was a well-crafted story and gave it four stars, but you can't LOVE a book that didn't once make you stop and exclaim, "WOW.  JUST....WOW."  No matter if it is a twist or just a beautifully written sentiment that makes you re-think your position on something or a message that is so powerful you can't believe you never thought of it before.  You know what I mean?

I think knowing something is coming, the whole foreshadowing bit, is useful, if it is done with a slight hand.  You don't want to be knocked to the ground with the hints.  


What do YOU Think?  Do you find stories less enjoyable when you've already predicted the ending?  Do you think that is sloppy writing or simply a sign of your brilliant, brilliant mind?  I can't decide myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!