December 8, 2014

What I'm Reading Mondays - 12/8/14



The last couple of weeks I have been busy with Nonfiction November and then my Holiday Extravaganza Event (which is going on daily until the 20th.)  I have read 100 books this year, which is many more than I expected to read.  I do need to catch up with review books.  I have been reading a bit more for fun this month, which, personally, I feel is a good way to send out the year. :)


How has your reading been?  Have you met any reading goals?


FINISHED READING:



Trickster: Native American Tales- A Graphic Collection by Matt Dembicki
*Library Loot for Travel the World in Books Challenge*
On pg. 149 of 232
Pages Read: 83
Thoughts: Several stories were wonderful and I loved them and read them twice. Some stories made no sense to me, as they seemed to say it is okay to be a terrible person for you will be rewarded. I liked learning stories from other cultures, but wished that each story told which tribe the story came from, but it did not unless it was mentioned within the story.  So overall a mixed bag for me.



Atheist Awakening: Secular Activism and Community in America
by Richard Cimino and Christopher Smith
*For Review from Oxford University Press*
This Week: 28-32%
Pages Read: 147
Review to come.



Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff
*For Nonfiction November Readalong*
2.5 STARS
On Pg. 289 of 368
Pages Read: 79



Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham and Donald O. Clifton
3 STARS
On pg. 67 of 272
Pages Read: 205
Thoughts: Don't worry about buying the book for the code to take the strengths finder test unless you find you can't figure out what your 5 out of the 30 are.  I could, and saw others could and others could not narrow them down for themselves.  So just wanted to throw that out there.



Token by Alisa Kwitney and Joelle Jones
*Library Loot, just for fun graphic novel*
3 STARS
Pages Read: 150
Thoughts: Great graphics, I liked the multi-generational story of a young Jewish girl living in Miami who begins shoplifting when she feels her home life doesn't feel familiar anymore. 



CURRENTLY READING:


That Others May Live by Jack Brehm and Pete Nelson
*For NonFiction November*
On pg. 116 of 304
Pages Read This Week: 76
Thoughts: I am really enjoying this book!  After every chapter I read at night I have so many questions I want to ask John about his own experience.  It's been lovely getting to know more about this part of his life before I knew him than I knew previously.



The Descartes Highlands by Eric Gamalinda
*For Review from Akashic Books and Edelweiss*
*For Travel the World in Books Challenge*
This Week: 8-38%
Pages Read: 90
Thoughts: Slow reading, but I am interested to see how the three stories of the two sons and the father come together in the end.  I also like how varying their stories are.



Christmas with the Laird (Christmas Around the World #3) by Scarlet Wilson
*For Review*
Read So Far: 0-57%
Pages Read: no information on this
Thoughts: I like that the characters are well-rounded and, most importantly, clever.  There isn't a gimmick and Wilson doesn't fall back on romance tropes, either.




Land Where I Flee by Prajwal Parajuly
*For Review and for Travel the World in Books*
So Far: 0-11%
Pages Read: 30
Thoughts: So far so good.  



Savage Girl: A Novel by Jean Zimmerman
*Just for Fun*
On pg. 32 of 402
Pages Read: 32
Thoughts: Really intrigued so far.  I've never read anything like it.



Stained by Ella James
*Just for Fun*
Read So Far: 0-7%
Pages Read: 19
Thoughts: To soon to say much on this one, but so far so good.



The Key (True Reign #1) by Jennifer Anne Davis
*Just for Fun*
So Far: 0-56%
Pages Read: 192
Thoughts: Like Queen of the Tearling, only better.



STATS:

Total Pages Read Since 11/17: 1,103

Total Books Currently Reading: 7
Total Books Read So Far This Year: 100





REVIEW BOOKS UP NEXT:







~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  
Share in the comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!