Book bloggers are simply readers, who love to share what they’ve read with others. There is no hidden agenda and they don’t get paid money by publishers to share their opinions. This time of year, readers see all kinds of book lists from bloggers! It’s easy to get overwhelmed, or even to just lazily skim them. However, book lists are a great way to help you this holiday season.
Below are ways it can be a useful tool for you!
1. Pick your next read: Looking at book lists and reading what the blogger loved about those books, is a great way to tag the book, add it to your Goodreads list, your wish list on an online bookstore, or simply to write it down.
2. Genre Switch: Sometimes you just need a great book in a different genre. It’s easy to get in a rut and feel like you are reading the same kind of storyline. Book lists can help you pick a genre you are curious about and select a book that is highly recommended. This takes away from the hassle of choosing a book on a whim and not really knowing what to expect.
3. Get a Deal: While not all bloggers will include lists with great deals, since a “special” is usually for a limited time, check it out for yourself. If there is a book that interests you, visit the online bookstores to see if that particular book is on sale. If you are a subscriber to a bookstore, you will also receive coupons. Using those coupons with a book item is a great way to save money on a book.
4. Book Gifts: Let’s be honest. Gift cards are so last year. People want to know that you have taken the time to pick something out that is meaningful to them. Gift cards are simply a nicer way of handing money over to the person, but still just as impersonal. An actual book has value. It says you took time to pick a book just for them. However, you don’t want to buy the person you’re favorite book. They may have different tastes from you. So, a book list is a great way to pick a book that is in the genre they find interesting.
5. Get Creative: Expand beyond books. There are so many great gifts you can buy for someone who loves books. Bookmarks, coffee mugs, calendars, journals, scented/colored highlighters, cute post-its, cd’s, audio version of a great book, puzzles, and the list goes on. There are some book lists that have great gift ideas that are for the book lover in your life. With a busy schedule, it’s easier to look at a book list and buy something that is highly recommended.
Book lists really are a great way to save money, save time, and find the perfect gift for a loved one. While you can’t read every book list, often times, if you see the same book listed and it peaks your interest, check it out! Above all, have fun! Book lists are great to read and gives you insight into why that book is a favorite. It’s also a fantastic way to be introduced to new authors and their work!
Thank you so much, Lisa! Visit Lisa at Books in the Burbs!