December 18, 2014

The Best Present is a Book Present by Rachel of Bookishly Witty and Book Riot


When Hannukah comes around, I inevitably think about which books my 

husband, kids, parents, brothers, in-laws, and nieces would like. And 
that's not because they all necessarily LOVE to read- it's because *I* 
love to read, and this is how my brain works.




If I do decide to get these people with very different tastes a book 

they'd like, I inevitably think about their interests. My mom, for 
instance, loves World War II fiction and nonfiction, so I recently 
bought her THE PARIS ARCHITECT. Last Hannukah, I gave my dad Henri, le 
Chat Noir: The Existential Musings of an Angst-Filled Cat, because if 
there's one thing that will get him to read a book, it's the promise 
that it's about cats. 

My brothers love comics and sports, so biographies 
of Arthur Ashe and Andre Agassi fit the bill, as well as a recent 
audiobook I listened to and loved called Superman: The High-Flying 
History of America's Most Enduring Hero. My own kids and my nieces love 
books that feature one or more of the following things: dinosaurs, 
robots, friendly aliens, kittens, and Cookie Monster. No problem there!



There really is a book out there for everyone, even if they aren't a 
"hard-core reader." So this Christmas and Hannukah, consider giving 
books as presents, and I guarantee you'll be glad you did.



What was your favorite book that was given as a present to you?
What is a book you loved giving as a present to someone else?


Thanks, Rachel!  Visit Rachel at her blog, Bookishly Witty!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!