December 6, 2014

How the Grinch Stole My Heart by Suey of It's All About Books! - Holiday Extravaganza


How_the_Grinch_Stole_Christmas_cover.png

One of my favorite Christmas stories has always been How The Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss. I don’t remember the first time I heard it, it’s just always been a part of my life. I’m sure my parents read it to me or something, but I do remember two very distinct things about it and growing up. One, the Christmas special that would come on TV and two, reenacting the story for my family on Christmas Eve.

I’m guessing most of you remember the old TV classic that comes on TV year after year. It’s not quite as magical as it used to be because now everyone has their own copy and can watch it whenever they want! Back then, if we wanted to watch it, we had to know when it was coming on and plan our lives accordingly! I remember getting a newspaper list of all the Christmas TV specials and this was at the top of mine. This production was released in 1966 and starred the voice of Boris Karloff as the narrator and The Grinch. It also featured the song “You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch” by Thurl Ravenscroft.

Here’s a clip from the end of this show, just in case you’ve forgotten it:

 


I loved this show and this story so much that when I got a little older, I forced my younger brothers and sisters (I’m the oldest of nine!) to act out this production every Christmas Eve. I would always be the director and producer and sometimes narrator, reading the story as they acted out the parts. I think they loved it. I think. We did this for years and years and until we started getting old and leaving the nest. It seems like we did this in place of acting out the nativity, which is sort of a more “normal” Christmas Eve production!
Then in 2000, Jim carrey made a Grinch movie. I was never too sure about what I thought about this interpretation. I’ve only watched it once or twice which might give you a clue. Nothing can replace the old 1966 cartoon!

Then this year, I ended up with tickets to see the musical version of The Grinch. And I loved it. They do an excellent job. It’s narrated by old Max who comes out and remembers the story of what happened one year when he was just a pup. The guy who plays The Grinch (at least in the production I saw) has been doing it for years now and has that role DOWN! He’s awesome. The costumes and makeup are over the top as you would imagine a bunch of Who’s would do. And the set looks like it’s lifted right out of the book. I loved it!

 Here’s a fun clip:

 

And some pictures:



Segerstrom-Center-GRINCH-Company-Photo-by-PaparazziByAppointment.com_1-960x340.jpg

grinchprod460.jpg

grinchLApre460_1288153927.jpg


Yes, I truly love the Grinch. I love the story, his change of heart and the things he, and thus we as readers, learn. I love it all. Even after all these years!


Thank you so much for sharing today, Suey!  Visit Suey at It's All About Books.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!