December 15, 2014

Christmas Book JOY by Jennine G of My Life in Books

It's that time of year again! Christmas trees, lights, carols, and snow (ugh). There are many things to love about the holidays, but one specific fun part of December for me is deciding how to spend my Barnes and Noble gift cards. Oh, yes, B&N gift cards are an assured appearance in my Christmas. My mom and brother always each give me one, together equaling between $75 - $125, depending on what else they happen to find. Usually I can talk my in-laws into one as well (my mother-in-law loves the opening of presents, which doesn't count gift cards...lol). 

So, what to buy? The list of possibilities is endless (no thanks to all of the lovely book blogs I follow)! But there are a few that stand out. There's no way I'll be able to get all of them, but one needs options. And, I have the educator's discount, which gives me 20% off all purchases, allowing me to fit an extra book or two in there.

Here's the list...for now:

1. The Outlander series, by Diana Gabaldon. Yes, I'm considering purchasing all 8 of the Outlander series. Every blogger I know who has reviewed any of these books has loved them. I've already started checking them out and have run into a problem...I can't find a copy of the first book without the movie cover! Ahhh! Also, part of me says, "What if you buy them all and don't like them?" What do you all think? Just in case, I might buy the first couple Outlander books and wait. Ha! Right. I'm just going to hold a B&N gift card in my wallet for no reason. That's why there's more to this list.

2. The Bone Clocks, by David Mitchell. LOVED Cloud Atlas this last summer. Also loved the movie. So intricate, I loved the challenge. And a rewarding theme as well as storyline. I am all for anything else Mitchell wants to throw out there.

3. Lookaway, Lookaway, by Wilton Barnhardt. Because who doesn't like good ole Southern set stories and skeletons in the closet? This family is a train wreck and I want to watch!

4. Where'd You Go Bernadette?, by Maria Semple. My interest in this book is completely based on the book blogger friends who have recommended it to me personally.

5. Everything I Never Told You, by Celeste Ng. Ok, a book that starts with "Lydia is dead. But they don’t know this yet..." makes me want to keep reading. The family is also Chinese, which means I am likely going to learn about culture I know little about. And, it takes place in small town Ohio, heartland of the U.S., and where I've spent my entire life! Once again, family skeletons...who can resist?

I already have a book buddy lined up to make this trip with me. Plus this list of ideas to get me started. And a two week Christmas vacation to get a jump on my reading. What more could a bibliophile ask for? Any bookish holiday plans on your horizon reader?


Thank you for sharing with us today, Jennine!  Visit Jennine at her blog, My Life in Books!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!