December 9, 2014

All About the Holidays by Sheila of Bookjourney - Holiday Extravaganza Event

We always used to spend Christmas Eve at my mom’s home, opening gifts and eating goodies.  In 1996 my mom and stepfather were killed in a car accident and our lives changed.

At first I had no idea how to move forward from the traditions of Christmas I had growing up.  As I spent the next few years during the holiday season in a funk, It was my best friend who reminded me that if my mom were still around and seen me acting this way she would not be very proud of the example I was setting for my two sons who were 6 and 8 at the time.

I don’t share this history with you to make you feel sad; I share this to tell you that no matter what your circumstances – bug family or small… you can make your own tradition.

Our holidays are very stress free, consisting now of the four of us; myself and my husband and our two grown sons.  Before the holiday I send them a group text asking them what they want to eat and they all respond with their favorite dishes, pies, and snacks.  On the holiday, I make a big lunch with all the fixings and we all sit down together and eat.  After the big meal, the rest is put away for later snacking and for whatever we want for supper… usually we snack all day so supper is really just whenever and whatever. 


We then spend the day playing board games and watching movies.  Occasionally we will take out the Wii and battle each other, or if a good movie is playing at the theater we have done that as well.  We now open gifts and do our celebrating on Christmas Day, where growing up we were always Christmas Eve.  I enjoy spending the whole day with our family.  I know our family will grow as years go on, and that will be awesome when it does, but for now I love our stress free holidays! 

I will leave you with a recipe we have recently started making for our dinner. 


Grape Salad
½ - ¾ cup mayonnaise (add what you like for taste)
2 cups green seedless grapes (halved)
Teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese


Mix all in a bowl and refrigerate until time to serve.









Thank you, Sheila, for sharing your story with us today.  Visit Sheila at Bookjourney!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!