December 31, 2014

2014 End-of-Year Book Survey

2014 End Of Year Book Survey



This is why I like Jamie.  Here I was thinking "I'd really like to do a wrap-up post for 2014 and a look ahead post for 2015, but GODDESS it is is so much work and I am feeling lazy."  Then, lo and behold, I see Jamie has already made up the survey, all I have to do (and, admittedly, this is the hard part) is fill it out.  I did take out a couple questions that I just didn't have an answer for, but hey, half the work has been done for me and I'm feeling pretty good about that.  Thanks, Jamie!  You rock.




1. Number of Books You Read:



I am pretty proud of myself I have to say.  I did not expect to get so much reading done!

I read 43 books for review, the rest for myself.  I think breaking it up like that is what has allowed me to read so much this year.  That and DNFing whenever I needed to.

I tend to read a ton one year and then not a lot the next.  I am hoping that trend is destroyed in 2015 and I continue to read a lot!


2. Number of Re-Reads:


Three were all for The Babysitter's Club Re-Readalong in August.  The fourth was Dualed by Elsie Chapman, which I re-read because I was reviewing the sequel and realized I had forgotten nearly everything in the first book.
I am so not a big re-reader.  I've re-read less than ten books in my adult life.  Although, ironically, I am beginning 2015 with a re-read of The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.  It will be my 3rd re-read of it, too!  




3. Genre You Read the Most From:

The top 5 in order are:
YA Fantasy
Adult Fantasy
Literary Fiction
Nonfiction
Historical Fiction





1. Best Book Read This Year:

Is there anyone NOT cheating in this category? 

Best 3 Books I Read This Year
:





2. Book You Were Excited About &Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t


I was under the impression this memoir about traveling and not wanting children would resonate with me since, you know, I don't want children and would love to travel everywhere.  Sadly, this book was a dud.

Runners-Up: 
Music Lust by Nic Harcourt.  I thought it would be like Nancy Pearl's Book Lust books.  
NOT AT ALL.  It was predictable and awful.

Skylark by Meagan Spooner.  I thought I would love it so much more but I couldn't connect with the protagonist and it was sloooow.


 3. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?


Have you read it?  You need to.  Laundry list of reasons why this book is awesome.

I keep pushing Invisible City by Julia Dahl, too.  READ IT.  

And How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran.  You have got to get your hands on this.


 4. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?

I read a lot, a lot, a lot of good first books in a series this year.  I include these 9 and feel like I cheated on the ones I left out!




These are the best sequels I read this year:




The Ascended, the third and final book in Tiffany King's Saving Angels series, was the only final book in a series I read this year, but it was a good one.



 5. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?

I must say, I do not do well with absolutes.  I can't narrow down a new fave author anymore than I can a new fave book!  Here are my top...er, 7:

Gabrielle Zevin
Patricia McCormick
Julia Dahl
Kaitlyn Hoyt
Tiffany King
Sarah Jio
Paula Morris


6. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

18957542

This was my first LGBTQ memoir and I loved it.  It was hilarious and heartfelt and brutally honest.
It got me to read Rethinking Normal by Katie Rain Hill and I will be reading more books from these POV's in the future.  I really can't figure out how I had not before.


 7. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?


I don't know if I even breathed while reading this book.

Runners-Up:
  Invisible City by Julia Dahl (though not action-packed and fast-paced, thoroughly unputdownable.)
The Office of Mercy by Ariel Djanikian


 8. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Me?  Re-read a book I just read?  Hahahaha!


9. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?


Goodnight June by Sarah Jio - the plot surrounds a bookstore and owner who might have been influential in the creation of Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown.  As you can see, the cover reflects that beautifully.

Nest by Esther Ehrlich stands out to me because Naomi aka "Chirp" is a birdwatcher and always has her binoculars.  She lives with her family on Cape Cod and she deals with the family troubles by going out on her own to birdwatch.  Also I LOVE the way the title is written.



The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero reflects the spooky, gothic feel of the book.  Plus the eye and the house are very intricate to the story.

I love the "odd egg out" on the cover of Why Your Weirdness is Wonderful because it shows how that weird egg is kind of the most interesting and beautiful egg.


I also loved the covers of Dark World by Cara Lynn Schultz and A Sudden Light by Garth Stein.



10. Most memorable character of 2014?


WITHOUT A DOUBT.  Johanna Morrigan.  
Seriously, she is unforgettable.


 11. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?


I am not much of a "read-for-the-beautiful-language" reader, but this one stood out to me.

Runner-Up: Stillwater by Nicole Helget


12. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?






Why Your Weirdness is Wonderful: Embrace Your Quirks and Live Your Strengths by Laurie Wallin
To This Day: For the Bullied and Beautiful by Shane Koyczan 

To This Day is more genius because I want all teenagers to read it STAT.



 13. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read? 

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - yes, I just started reading these books in late 2013.  Gasp!

And I still have to finish the series!  I know.



 14. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?



15. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2014:

The two longest books were:

2 8667848

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix -870 pages
The Discover of Witches -579

The two shortest books were:

22588438 19036215

Out of Dublin - 38 pages 
Out of Dublin is really a short story I had for review, so the shortest book would be
Break into the World of Freelance Writing - 44 pages


 16. Book That Shocked You The Most:


The Aftermath by Jen Alexander

I didn't jog my memory of what it was about before I read it and when I figured out what was going on early in the book it was so crazy and mind-blowing.  In fact, it was like:




17. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously:


Elsie Chapman's Sequel to Dualed, which I read last year was excellent.  I was not sure if there was a way to pull off a sequel to the previous book, but she wrote the shit out of a sequel, let me tell you.



18. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:


Tif of Tif Talks Books said "READ THIS BOOK ALREADY, WOMAN!!!"
Well, that's paraphrasing, but yeah she TOTALLY peer pressured me. But, it was a good thing because I LOVED this book and want to get my hands on the second book NOW.


19. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?


DUDE.  Hawke is my book boyfriend.  Hands off.




20. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

I felt completely immersed in the settings of these books.  I was THERE.

 15713263



     2 



21. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

These three books had fun, interesting characters that I just kind of wanted to hang out with.  If you want to be friends with the people in the book, that makes it fun, I think.




22. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?


Me while reading: 




23. Hidden Gem Of The Year?


Not nearly enough people are reading and discussing this book.  Please correct this error. Thankyouverymuch.





24. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?


The Descartes Highlands by Eric Gamalinda was probably my most unique read.
Have any of you read it?


25. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it):



We Were Liars by e. Lockhart.  

Honestly? I do not get everyone falling all over this book.  Was it good? Yes.  Was it wholly original and surprising?  Uh, no.  (Spoiler, so highlight this part if you've read it: It was basically The Sixth Sense. ) I figured it out very early in the book.  Perhaps it is because I knew a twist was coming (because no one would shut up about that) but it was not as amazing as claimed.


26. My Own Question: Best Nonfiction You've Read This Year?

I love nonfiction and I finally made some time to read a lot more this year than I did in the past few years.  Here are a few that I learned a lot from and enjoyed reading and recommend to you!



27. My Own Question: What were your favorite diversity reads?








1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014? 


Since I sort of really came back to blogging this year full-time, every blog that wasn't around a few years ago is pretty much new to me.  I like you all. :)

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014? 

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry Made Me Believe in Humanity Again
Pointing Out the Flaws in Shanghai Girls by Lisa See

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?




4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?


5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?

Coming back to blogging full-time this year and being welcomed with open arms right back into the community.  I love the book blogging community!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?


8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

Pretty much all the book reviews.  Not a lot of love going around for those lately.

9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Etsy shops devoted to bookish items.  Why have I not been looking at these? 

Winter is coming - Game of Thrones inspired pinback button

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

Yes, books read, pages read, and blogging more.  All accomplished! Go me!






1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?

One? Hahahahaha.  How about like a ton?  Here are some of the ones I didn't get to. 
Damn Edelweiss and Net Galley!:



2. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?

Some areas to improve on: my reading is not as diverse as I thought- I read in mostly the same countries and cultures like India, Japan, and Pakistan.  I want to make sure I read more diversely in 2015.  Also, I want to write more book reviews. It is so hard to write reviews when they are not the ones getting comments, but I would still like to include more.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!