November 10, 2014

What I'm Reading Mondays - 11/10/14



This week I finally finished The Hidden Ones, an over 400 page mystery featuring terrorists, djinn, kidnapping, Jewish mythology, and Muslim life in Tel Aviv.  Epic scope, yes.  There are two more books in the series I will get to when I can.

I didn't get much else read, though.  VERY slow week of reading for me. Bah.  Too much else on my mind, I guess.

Nonfiction November is in full swing.  I'm reading several NF books at once.  As to be expected.  Are you reading Cleopatra: A Life or The Restless Sleep with us?

How was your reading week?


FINISHED READING THIS WEEK:



The Hidden Ones (Legacy of the Watchers #1) by Nancy Madore
*For Review from Author*
4 STARS
This Week: 74-100%
Pages Read: 117
Thoughts: This took way longer to read than it should have. The story was good, just hard for me to read a lot at a time on my computer.  I think I can put the next 2 in the series on my phone.


NEW BOOKS ADDED THIS WEEK TO CURRENTLY READING:


That Others May Live by Jack Brehm and Pete Nelson
*For NonFiction November*
On pg. 21 of 304
Pages Read This Week: 21
Thoughts: I'm liking finding out more about the elite Air Force PJs (Pararescue/Parajumpers).  My bf was one and discussing the book  is sparking some new details about his own experiences. It's fascinating.



Trickster: Native American Tales- A Graphic Collection by Matt Dembicki
*Library Loot for Travel the World in Books Challenge*
On pg. 33 of 232
Pages Read This Week: 33
Stories Read: 2
Thoughts: The Coyote story was awesome. The Raven story I didn't like as much.  It was basically saying you'll be rewarded for being a jerk.  I wish that it said what Native American groups told which stories.



CONTINUING TO ENJOY THIS WEEK:

Nonfiction November Specific:



Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff
*For Nonfiction November Readalong*
On Pg. 80 of 368
Pages Read This Week: 16
Thoughts: Didn't read much this week, but what I did read was interesting.



Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham and Donald O. Clifton
Goodreads Link
*For Nonfiction November*
On pg. 48 of 272
Pages Read: 0 
Thoughts: Didn't get to this this week.



The Review Books:



Atheist Awakening: Secular Activism and Community in America
by Richard Cimino and Christopher Smith
*For Review from Oxford University Press*
This Week: 18-28%
Pages Read: 21
Thoughts So Far: Very interesting. And very readable for an academic book.




What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding by Kristin Newman
*For Review thanks to Random House Crown via Edelweiss*
This Week: 29-35%
Pages Read This Week: 18
Thoughts: Newman is easy to identify with and I am living vicariously through her travels.




Rethinking Normal: A Memoir in Translation by Katie Rain Hill
*For Review thanks to Simon and Schuster via Edelweiss*
This Week: 51-69%
Pages Read:  52
Quote: "No matter who we are or what we are, what color we are or what's between our legs, we're all just people trying to survive."




The Guard by Peter Terrin
Translated by David Colmer
*For Review thanks to MacLehose Press and Edelweiss*
This Week: 8-23%
Pages Read: 37
Thoughts: I hope this gives me something soon.  This blanket craziness without any reason or background is getting tiresome. I read reviews that say it is eventually worth it, but hurry up, man.  Give me just a smidgen. 


The Reading For Fun Books:



Zoli by Colum McCann
*For Travel the World in Books Challenge*
This Week: 9-20%
Pages Read This Week: 38
Thoughts: Oh no.  It's another book where the narrator switches and there is no indication.  One narrator for almost 1/4 of the book and then a switch with no warning?  Arrgh.



High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
*Started during Readathon*
Pg. 54 of 323
This Week: 0
Thoughts This WeekI didn't even care about cracking this open this week.



STATS:

Total Pages Read Last Week: 431
Total Pages Read THIS Week: 353

Total Books Currently Reading: 11
Total Books Read So Far This Year: 93




REVIEW BOOKS UP NEXT:







~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  
Share in the comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!