November 17, 2014

What I'm Reading 11/17/14



This week I finished both Rethinking Normal and What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding.  One good, one not so much.  I also have been cram-reading Cleopatra trying to get it finished before the readalong stops on Wednesday. 

I began another review book that needs to get started, and one very light read just for fun because I realized I was reading a bunch of quite heavy-subject books. 

The good news, though, is that I read WAY more this week.  I have to admit I skimmed a few parts in Cleopatra, and pretty much sped read the last of Newman's book, but since I never do either usually (and I wasn't enjoying Newman's), I decided not to feel bad about it.  Most of the books I read just a few pages in because I spent most of the week on the 2 I finished and Cleopatra.

How was your reading week?


FINISHED READING THIS WEEK:



Rethinking Normal: A Memoir in Translation by Katie Rain Hill
*For Review thanks to Simon and Schuster via Edelweiss*
3.5 STARS
This Week: 69-100%
Pages Read: 89
Review to come soon.



What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding by Kristin Newman
*For Review thanks to Random House Crown via Edelweiss*
This Week: 35-100%
Pages Read This Week: 198


TO GO BACK TO LATER:



High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
*Started during Readathon*
Thoughts: I just can't get into this right now.  I will try again another time.



Zoli by Colum McCann
*For Travel the World in Books Challenge*
Thoughts: I was really digging this until the POV changed and all the sudden I can't read 4 pages in it.  I don't know why- a change in POV doesn't usually bother me.  Maybe it is my mood so I will try it again another time.


NEW BOOKS ADDED THIS WEEK TO CURRENTLY READING:


A Seal's Surrender by Tawny Weber
*For Fun*
This Week: 0-10%
Pages Read: 22
Thoughts: I am kind of a sucker for a military story.



The Descartes Highlands by Eric Gamalinda
*For Review from Akashic Books and Edelweiss*
*For Travel the World in Books Challenge*
This Week: 0-8%
Pages Read: 24
Thoughts: Fingers crossed this is as interesting as I think it will be.



CONTINUING TO ENJOY THIS WEEK:

Nonfiction November Specific:



Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff
*For Nonfiction November Readalong*
On Pg. 289 of 368
Pages Read This Week: 209
Thoughts: Very interesting but also very info-dense.  It's a bit overwhelming. The discussion for this book will be Wednesday.



Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham and Donald O. Clifton
Goodreads Link
*For Nonfiction November*
On pg. 67 of 272
Pages Read: 19
Thoughts: It will be interesting to take the strengths test.




That Others May Live by Jack Brehm and Pete Nelson
*For NonFiction November*
On pg. 40 of 304
Pages Read This Week: 19
Thoughts: I didn't get to this one much only because I was busy devouring Cleopatra for the readalong and finishing up review books.



The Review Books:



Atheist Awakening: Secular Activism and Community in America
by Richard Cimino and Christopher Smith
*For Review from Oxford University Press*
This Week: 28-32%
Pages Read: 9
Thoughts So Far: So many distinctions to learn between atheists, secular humanists, religious humanists, Unitarians, agnostics, etc.  Actually agnostics is the easy one.  But also the various ways each group conducts themselves.  It's as various as different Christian denominations.  In fact, more so.




The Guard by Peter Terrin
Translated by David Colmer
*For Review thanks to MacLehose Press and Edelweiss*
This Week: 23-27%
Pages Read: 10
Thoughts: Once again, what the hell is going on and is there a point to this?



The Reading For Fun Books:



Trickster: Native American Tales- A Graphic Collection by Matt Dembicki
*Library Loot for Travel the World in Books Challenge*
On pg. 149 of 232
Pages Read This Week: 116
Stories Read: 12
Thoughts: My favorite story of the entire collection so far was The Yehasuri.



STATS:

Total Pages Read Last Week: 353
Total Pages Read THIS Week: 715

Total Books Currently Reading: 8
Total Books Read So Far This Year: 95




REVIEW BOOKS UP NEXT:







~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  
Share in the comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!