November 3, 2014

Nonfiction November - My Year in Nonfiction!


Today begins Nonfiction November- Hooray!   This week Kim of Sophisticated Dorkiness, one of the brilliant minds that came up with the event, leads us in our weekly discussion.   Here's the topic:


Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?



Out of the 90 books I've read so far this year, 24 were nonfiction books. I've read biographies and memoirs, poetry, books on writing, self-help books, books of essays, histories, and books about books.


What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?
My favorite nonfic of the year was one I read recently - Sweet Tooth: A Memoir by Tim Anderson. It was thoughtful, honest, and, at turns, pretty hilarious. 

What nonfiction book have you recommended the most?
I don't know that I have recommended one particular book over any of the others. I don't tend to blanket recommend nonfiction like I do fiction - everyone needs to read this! I tend to be much more specific in my nonfic recommendations. Is anyone else like this?

What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven't read enough of yet?
There is not one specific topic I want to read more about, but a genre. I want to read more biographies and memoirs. I love reading them and I have only read TWO this year. With the readalong for this event I will get to read one more, Cleopatra: A Life, but I would really like to read more in the coming year.

What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?
I am hoping to find lots of fellow nonfiction lovers first and foremost! I sometimes feel nonfiction gets put on the back burner for a lot of us and there are probably a lot more people into it than I realize. Also, I am excited about all the recommendations from everyone as well as sharing the reading of books with others during the readalong!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!