November 3, 2014

My Week in Reading - 11/3/14



This week I decided to sometimes add my thoughts about what I'm reading this week, and sometimes add a quote from what I read in the book this week.  

This week started Nonfiction November so you will find lots of NF for the next month.  I also started a new review book I need to read and a book for the Travel the World in Books Challenge.

I find it interesting, too, that while I feel like I read more than I usually do this week, I actually read less than I usually do. 


FINISHED READING THIS WEEK:



A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
*For Fun*
4.5 STARS
Pages This Week: 93
Thoughts: I won't get to the next one before 2015, but I will definitely continue with this series.


ABANDONED/DNF:



Against the Country: A Novel by Ben Metcalf
*For Review from Random House and Netgalley*
Thoughts: I was hoping that Metcalf's ramblings included some hidden brilliance. Not the case as far as I can tell, it's just rambling, run-on sentences and a stagnant plot, which was a half-assed attempt at commentary on country life.  I couldn't stick with it.


NEW BOOKS ADDED THIS WEEK TO CURRENTLY READING:


Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff
*For Nonfiction November Readalong*
On Pg. 64 of 368
Pages Read This Week: 64
Thoughts: Schiff writes beautifully crafted sentences, and the book is clearly meticulously researched, without subjection.  I do find the narrative to be a bit jumpy, though.



Zoli by Colum McCann
*For Travel the World in Books Challenge*
This Week: 0-9%
Pages Read This Week: 32
Thoughts: Enjoying it so far.



The Guard by Peter Terrin
Translated by David Colmer
*For Review thanks to MacLehose Press and Edelweiss*
This Week: 0-8%
Pages Read: 19
Thoughts: For a dystopian, this is certainly understated.



Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham and Donald O. Clifton
Goodreads Link
*For Nonfiction November*
On pg. 48 of 272
Pages Read: 48
Thoughts: Pretty good points in here. I think I might give this to my sister when I am done to help her in her job search.


CONTINUING TO ENJOY THIS WEEK:

The Review Books:



Atheist Awakening: Secular Activism and Community in America
by Richard Cimino and Christopher Smith
*For Review from Oxford University Press*
This Week: 11-18%
Pages Read: 15
Thoughts So Far: This isn't a book to read quickly, at least for me.  It's very thought-provoking.  I didn't realize how many differences there were between secular humanism and atheism, for example, or how similar the atheist movement is to the religious movement in this country.  Pretty interesting parallels drawn.



What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding by Kristin Newman
*For Review thanks to Random House Crown via Edelweiss*
This Week: 21-29%
Pages Read This Week: 25
Quote: "In really important ways, Argentina was my first love. It was the first place I went all by myself, and I fell in love with it hard. A little because of how Argentina made me feel about me, in the way you fall in love with that crush at summer camp because he's the first person who's ever looked at you like that. Argentina made me feel backlit, like the girl who makes the music swell when the camera hits her, like the girl who first broke your heart."



Rethinking Normal: A Memoir in Translation by Katie Rain Hill
*For Review thanks to Simon and Schuster via Edelweiss*
This Week: 28-51%
Pages Read: 67
Quote: "People think we choose to be this way. But no one wakes up and chooses to be hated by everyone."



The Hidden Ones (Legacy of the Watchers #1) by Nancy Madore
*For Review from Author*
This Week: 61-74%
Pages Read: 60
Thoughts: I'm really enjoying this story.  I just wish I didn't have to read it on my computer.  I'm not a fan of reading books on my laptop.



The Reading For Fun Books:



High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
*Started during Readathon*
Pg. 54 of 323
This Week: 8 pages
Thoughts This Week: I continue to read this at a glacial pace.



STATS:

Total Pages Read Last Week: 673
Total Pages Read THIS Week: 431

Total Books Currently Reading: 8
Total Books Read So Far This Year: 91




REVIEW BOOKS UP NEXT:







~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  
Share in the comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!