November 27, 2014

My Love for Christmas TV Specials by Ryan of Wordsmithsonia - Holiday Extravaganza


I don't think it's possible to know me, and not know that I love Christmas.  And when I say I love Christmas, I'm pretty sure that doesn't get across how much I really, truly obsess over it.  There is not an aspect of Christmas that I don't get into.  It's why I was so happy that Becca asked me to do this, I never get tired of sharing my love of all things Christmas.  I love the music, the lights, the food, Christmas cards, the decorations, movies, and most of all, TV specials.  Since I was a kid, I've been addicted to Christmas specials, can't get enough of them, and I own so many of them on DVD, I have a whole separate section of my movie collection devoted to them.


We all know the Rankin & Bass specials, they are the quintessential Christmas viewing.  Between two different box sets, I own a ton of them.  I have Rudolph the Red-Nosed ReindeerSanta Claus is Coming to TownFrosty the SnowmanFrosty ReturnsThe Little Drummer BoyThe Year Without a Santa ClausRudolph's Shiny New YearNestor the Long-Eared Christmas DonkeyFrosty's Winter Wonderland'Twas the Night Before ChristmasCricket on the HearthJack Frost, and Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July.  As much as I love Rudolph and Frosty, it's Nestor that takes my heart every time I watch him.  How can you look into his eyes and not fall in love with him, it's impossible.  He is the perfect example of a misfit who makes good.



Then there are the two non Rankin & Bass specials that everyone knows, and that everyone has watched at least once.  Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas! is probably the one I remember watching at an earliest age.  I'm not sure if it really was the first one I watched, but it's the first one I have memories of.  A Charlie Brown Christmas is one of the most iconic of the specials, and has such a simple, but profound message.  It's so much fun to watch, and it's hard not to dance to Schroeder's playing.  And yes, I own them both as well.



It was recently announced that there will no longer be Saturday morning cartoons on the network TV.  It breaks my heart knowing that today's youth are missing out on such a glorious thing.  Some of the best Christmas specials came from those cartoon, and to know that that tradition is over, is depressing.  As of right now I only own three of them, but I adore them all.  I have He-Man & She-Ra: A Christmas SpecialThe Smurfs Holiday Celebration, and A Flintstones Christmas Carol.  The one I really want is Yogi's First Christmas, I know it's on DVD but I haven't gotten my grubby hands on it yet.  And if they ever release Christmas Comes to Pac-Land, I'm jumping on it.



The other two that I own are The Tangerine Bear: Home in Time For Christmas and The Christmas Toy.  The first one is about a stuffed bear who is made with an upside down smile.  He ends up in a thrift store, and wants nothing else but to find a home for Christmas.  It's through the love of his friends that he realizes he was already there.  The Christmas Toy is a Jim Henson special that only aired the one time back in the 80s.  I was lucky enough to watch it, and I fell in love with Rugby and all his friends.  I found it at Best Buy a few years ago and I had to have it.





I think why I love these so much, is that for the exception of The Tangerine Bear, they are all specials that I watched as a kid.  They bring me back to a place where Christmas was special, with a magic all it's own.  Even when we were poor and couldn't afford a lot of presents, there were the moments we would cut out snowflakes and put them on the windows.  We would sit down and watch Rudolph or Frosty, or listen to The Chipmunks CD while make popcorn strings to put on the tree.  Christmas was about the simpler things, and I think that's why I still love watching Christmas specials.


Today's guest post was written by my favorite Christmas elf, Ryan, of Wordsmithsonia!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!