October 27, 2014

What I've Read, Am Reading, Will Read Next - 10/27/14



This week I finished three books, all good books.  I also abandoned one book and started another book for review.  I only read half as many pages as last week, but then again last week was the Readathon so I have to keep that in mind!


FINISHED READING THIS WEEK:




A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
*Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge*
Last Week: 0 pages
This Week: 123 pages
Thoughts: Review here.



Nest by Esther Ehrlich
*For Review from Random House Children's via Net Galley*
3 STARS
Last Week:47-58%
This Week: 58-100%
Pages Read This Week: 167
Thoughts:  Review to come.



The Aftermath by Jen Alexander
*For Review from Harlequin Teen*
4 STARS
Last Week: 41-63%
This Week: 63-100%
Pages Read: 192
Thoughts: Review to come


ABANDONED/DNF:



A Place Beyond the Map by Samuel Thews
*Started for Readathon*
Thoughts: I just didn't connect or care about the character. I didn't think the fae all that interesting, either. It just fell flat. Also, my understanding was this was YA but it is definitely middle-grade fiction. It would've been cool if there was anything to keep me reading.


NEW BOOKS ADDED THIS WEEK TO CURRENTLY READING:


Atheist Awakening: Secular Activism and Community in America
by Richard Cimino and Christopher Smith
*For Review from Oxford University Press*
This Week: 0-11%
Pages Read: 24
Thoughts So Far: Interesting sociological research topic - focusing on the community building and activism of the modern atheist movement, as oppose to focusing on individuals within the movement.  I am quite interested to see what they find out about this as a social movement.


CONTINUING TO ENJOY THIS WEEK:

The Review Books:



What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding by Kristin Newman
*For Review thanks to Random House Crown via Edelweiss*
Last Week: 0-11%
This Week: 11-21%
Pages Read This Week: 31
Thoughts: I really like Newman's narrative style.  I've already identified with her and am rooting for her and I'm only 63 pages in.



Rethinking Normal: A Memoir in Translation by Katie Rain Hill
*For Review thanks to Simon and Schuster via Edelweiss*
Last Week: 0-17%
This Week: 17-28%
Pages Read: 32
Thoughts This Week: To be going through an identity crisis at six years old is heartbreaking.  I knew logically what transgendered people experience growing up, but Katie has evoked from me more feelings and empathy when I thought I had so much already.  Just want to keep reading and reading!



Against the Country: A Novel by Ben Metcalf
*For Review from Random House and Netgalley*
Last Week: 10-23%
This Week: 23-30%
Pages Read: 24
Thoughts: Is anyone else reading this?  I am *this close* to giving up on it.  As another reviewer on GR put it, not sure if it's brilliant or just rambling.




The Hidden Ones (Legacy of the Watchers #1) by Nancy Madore
*For Review from Author*
Last Week: 54-61%
This Week: 61-61%
Pages Read: 0
Thoughts: I didn't get to this one this week.  I wish I knew how to get a book from Kindle for PC onto my phone or Kindle because it is hard to want to read from a computer very often.




The Reading For Fun Books:



High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
*Started during Readathon*
Pg. 46 of 323
Last Week: 36 pages
This Week: 10 pages
Thoughts This Week: I think this might be a book of reading in short spurts.  At least for now it seems to be that way.




A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
*For Fun*
On pg. 486 of 579
Last Week: 252
This Week: 70
Thoughts: This is soo good!  



STATS:

Total Pages Read Last Week: 1230
Total Pages Read THIS Week: 673

Books Reading for Review: 5
Books Reading for Readalongs/Challenges: 0
Books Reading for the Fun of It: 2

Total Books Currently Reading: 7
Total Books Read So Far This Year: 90




REVIEW BOOKS UP NEXT:


 






~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  
Share in the comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!