October 7, 2014

The Vault of Dreamers by Caragh M. O'Brien



The Vault of Dreamers by Caragh M. O'Brien
Publisher: Macmillan

This is a challenging book for me to put my thoughts together for in order to write a review.  I think it is because I am not sure how much I liked the book.  I liked it, but I am not sure how much.  Ambiguity is definitely not my forte when formulating opinions.

See, I really liked the premise: a reality TV show about teens at a prestigious arts school, The Forge School.  They have to have a certain blip rating (that is constantly shown to them) to stay and not get cut.  Once they make the cut, there are still obstacles like the challenging projects (one is creating and working on a project in which they know they will fail at.  Imagine!)  The other thing?

What in the world is the school's staff doing to them in their sleep?

That's what Rosie Sinclair wants to find out.  She goes to the Forge School but she is not so inclined to take a sleeping pill every night and getting into the tube full of wires in order to sleep.  They tell them it is a creativity enhancer, and it does seem to make the students increasingly capable of creative inspiration.  

But one night Rosie cheeks her pill and instead sneaks up on the roof to stand in the rain.  When she does she notices some suspicious activity.  She begins cheeking her pill every night.  She sees her fellow students rolled out in their tubes while they are knocked out asleep.  Where are they taking them?  What are they doing to them?  Good questions.  I wanted to know myself.  Pretty damn creepy.



Rosie is at the Forge School because of filmmaking.  She decides her huge project (that she is supposed to fail at, remember) will be looking for ghost activity at the school.  Well, that's what she says she is looking for.  What she is really trying and hoping to capture is more about what might be going on while they are sleeping.

As Rosie begins unraveling the mystery, mysterious things begin happening to her.  

It really is a creepy-ass book.  

Can you imagine someone taking advantage of you while you are sleeping?

Are they doing experiments on them?  Are they doing research on them?  Why are they really being drugged?  And what happens if you find out the truth?  What happens if they know you know the secret?

Like I said, creeeeeeeepy.



The ending is the part that has left me a little wanting.  I am not sure whether I am satisfied with it or not, which makes sharing my thoughts on it (other than holy cow it's creepy) a little challenging.  I know Michelle of That's What She Read was not a fan of the ending.  I did not have as strong a reaction.  I have no idea how I feel about it.


What do you think?  Would you give The Vault of Dreamers a try?

Have you ever read a book whose ending left you feeling ambivalent?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!