September 1, 2014

What I'm Reading Monday - 9/1/14



This week I finished three more books, read a great deal on the other books I have been working on since last week, and I have added on a couple books, as is my manner. :)

Also this week I will be adding on a book for the Travel the World Readathon, which starts today - hooray!


FINISHED READING THIS WEEK:



The Lost by Sarah Beth Durst
*For Review*
4 STARS
Last Week:  50-73%
This Week: 73-100%
Pages Read This Week: 95
Thoughts: Jumps right into the action and barely slows to catch its breath right to through to the end.  I loved the characters and loved watching them grow. 



The Dark World by Cara Lynn Shultz
*For Review from Publisher and Net Galley*
4.5 STARS
Last Week: 38-60%
This Week: 60-100%
Pages Read This Week: 150
Thoughts:  A fast-paced read with a fierce female and a demonslaying hottie, lots of funny lines, and several twisty surprises.




Jane Austen's First Love by Syrie James
*For Review*
3.5 STARS
Last Week: 46-56%
This Week: 56-100%
Pages Read: 176
Thoughts: I enjoyed this light-hearted tale of Jane as a teenager spending two weeks with friends and relations far from home.  The pace stagnated a couple of times, but the characters were so wonderfully depicted that I just had to know how everything resolved itself.


NEW BOOKS ADDED THIS WEEK TO CURRENTLY READING:


The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero
*E-book For Review*
This Week: 2%
Pages Read: 7
Thoughts:  Yea, I didn't really think this through.  A Sudden Light, which I am 3/4 of the way through is of a supernatural story in an old mansion.  I need to complete it first so as not to get the stories mixed-up.



Sweet Tooth: A Memoir by Tim Anderson
*For Fun*
Pg. 54 of 319
This Week: 54 pages
Thoughts: I immediately like Tim and I love the writing style.  



CONTINUING TO ENJOY THIS WEEK:



A Sudden Light by Garth Stein
*For Review via Edelweiss*
Last Week: 30-48%
This Week: 48-65%
Pages Read This Week: 54
Thoughts: Okay let's get this sorted out already.  It's dragging.



A Map of Betrayal by Ha Jin
*For Review thanks to Edelweiss*
*For Travel the World Challenge*
Last Week: 11-20%
This Week: 20-60%
Pages Read: 121
Thoughts: I'm finding it very interesting to read about a different perspective on Communist China, how the citizens were under such different impressions such as they thought they were liberating Taiwan, etc.  Things never taught in my school.  This is why reading books about other cultures is so important!



Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
*For Project Gutenburg Project and The Classics Club*
Last Week: 14-24%
This Week: 24-48%
Pages Read: 36
Thoughts: Nietzsche has a lot of provocative thoughts on a great many topics, but when he discusses women, he is out of his element.  Not his best material.  I will have to elaborate in my review.



People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
*For Lit Collective Book Club*
On pg. 274 of 372
Last Week: 72 pages
This Week: 72 pages
Thoughts: I am hoping this has some kind of revelatory ending.



Baby-Sitters Club Super Special #2 - Summer Vacation
*For the BSC Readalong*
Pg. 135 of 246
Last Week: 28 pages
This Week: 107 pages
Thoughts: Any 30-something-year-old female remembers devouring these books back in the day.  It is fun to reminisce about them!



The Office of Mercy by Ariel Djanikian
*Wanted a non-review book to read at my leisure*
Last Week: 0-13%
This Week: 13-18%
Pages Read This Week: 16
Thoughts: Slow going but they are getting ready to leave the compound so hopefully it gets more interesting.



STATS:

Total Pages Read Last Week: 719
Total Pages Read THIS Week: 888

Books Reading for Review: 4
Books Reading for Readalongs/Challenges: 2
Books Reading for the Fun of It: 2

Total Books Currently Reading: 8
Total Books Read So Far This Year: 69



WHAT'S NEXT:



 

 




~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  
Share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!