September 8, 2014

What Books I'm Reading Monday - 9/8/14



This week I finished FOUR books.  I am quite astonished.  That leaves lots of room for new books, always a good thing!  I am only 2 books away from my goal of reading 75 books this year. Huzzah!

I started on 2 books for the Travel the World Readathon this week, which still has another week to go - yay!  And I added on a book for review, The Vault of Dreamers, which is also quite good.  Thoughts on all the books below.


FINISHED READING THIS WEEK:



People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
*For Lit Collective Book Club*
3.5 STARS
Last Week: 72 pages
This Week: 98 pages
Thoughts: Parts were longer than I deemed necessary, but really this is a thought-provoking and curious book that I can't wait to review so I can share all of my thoughts with you.



A Sudden Light by Garth Stein
*For Review via Edelweiss*
3 STARS
Last Week: 48-65%
This Week: 65-100%
Pages Read This Week: 112
Thoughts: Parts were predictable and the story could have been cut by 1/4, but it was still pretty weird and creepy.  And I'm not even talking about the ghosts.



A Map of Betrayal by Ha Jin
*For Review thanks to Edelweiss*
*For Travel the World Challenge*
4 STARS
Last Week: 20-60%
This Week: 60-100%
Pages Read: 122
Thoughts: The ending left me somewhat satisfied and somewhat unsatisfied.  I need to mull it over a bit more.


Baby-Sitters Club Super Special #2 - Summer Vacation
*For the BSC Readalong*
2 STARS
Last Week: 107 pages
This Week: 121 pages
Thoughts: This one was just meh to me.  
A wrap-up of all 3 books I read for the readalong is coming!


NEW BOOKS ADDED THIS WEEK TO CURRENTLY READING:


Out by Natsuo Kirino
*For Travel the World in Books Readathon*
Pg. 79 of 400
This Week: 79 pages
Thoughts: Deliciously dark and tense, while insightful into the various ways women's lives in Japan may play out.



A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
*For the Travel the World in Books Readathon*
Pg. 83 of 422
This Week: 83 pages
Thoughts: I love how Ozeki breaks down the narrative into smaller chunks, the way Ruth (in the story) breaks down Nao's diary into smaller chunks.  Nao was a little off-putting to me at first but now her narrative is more flowy.  I am sufficiently intrigued by her grandmother's story.




The Vault of Dreamers by Caragh M. O'Brien
*For Review from Publisher*
This Week: 0-21%
Pages Read: 91
Thoughts: With the last sentence of chapter 1, I knew I was hooked for the duration!


CONTINUING TO ENJOY THIS WEEK:



Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
*For Project Gutenburg Project and The Classics Club*
Last Week: 24-48%
This Week: 48-74%
Pages Read: 40
Thoughts: Sometimes I feel enlightened, other times I want to say stop rambling.



The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero
*E-book For Review*
Last Week: 0-2%
This Week: --
Pages Read This Week: 0
Thoughts:  I didn't get to this again because I finished up A Sudden Light (which is also about a haunted old house) and I want to finish the review for that before I start this. Bah.  Not thinking and stuff.  



Sweet Tooth: A Memoir by Tim Anderson
*For Fun*
Pg. 82 of 319
Last Week: 54 pages
This Week: 28 pages
Thoughts: Is there anyone who can make being a diabetic in-the-closet homosexual teenager as funny to read about as Tim Anderson?  I think not.



The Office of Mercy by Ariel Djanikian
*For fun*
Last Week: 13-18%
This Week: 18-34%
Pages Read This Week: 50
Thoughts: Getting better.  Now I'm curious to see where this goes.



STATS:

Total Pages Read Last Week: 888
Total Pages Read THIS Week: 824

Books Reading for Review: 3
Books Reading for Readalongs/Challenges: 2
Books Reading for the Fun of It: 2

Total Books Currently Reading: 7
Total Books Read So Far This Year: 73



WHAT'S NEXT:


 

 




~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  
Share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!