September 11, 2014

Travel the World in Books: THE AMERICAS


The Travel the World in Books Readathon is well under way and I am enjoying it a lot!  The participants are introducing me to all kinds of new books full of diversity.  

During the readathon I want to share with you some of my favorite books that have had me traveling around the world from the comfort of my own home.  

Today I am sharing three of my favorites that have had me experiencing different cultures right here in the Americas.


The Lightning Dreamer: Cuba's Greatest Abolitionist

The Lightning Dreamer: Cuba's Greatest Abolitionist by Margarita Engle

The story of 13-year-old Tula, a book-loving feminist and abolitionist in 19th-century Cuba, told in lyrical verse.  It is a powerful and mesmerizing story.


438211

The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing by Lori Arviso Alvord and Elizabeth Cohen Van Pelt

Lori Arviso Alvord is the first Navajo woman to become a surgeon.  This is the story of her quest to bring western medicine to her Navajo reservation in Gallup, New Mexico, as well as to integrate the values of her people into the world of westernized medicine in the big hospital in Gallup. 


9712

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Florentino and Fermina fall passionately in love, but she decides to marry another, wealthier, man.  Florentino wiles away the years by engaging in numerous affairs but he still longs for Fermina.  When Fermina's husband dies, Florentino goes to her to declare his love for her all over again.


Looking for more books set across the Western Hemisphere?  
Check out my relevant Take Me Away Posts.

















Other Travel the World in Books Readathon Posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!