September 4, 2014

Travel the World in Books: AFRICA



The Travel the World in Books Readathon is well under way and I am enjoying it a lot!  The participants are introducing me to all kinds of new books full of diversity and my own reading has been awesome.  

During the readathon I want to share with you some of my favorite books that have had me traveling around the world from the comfort of my own home.  Today I am sharing three of my favorites that have had me traveling to Africa.


7244

A missionary and his family travel to 1960s Belgian Congo only to discover everything they brought with them, including what they knew, is transformed on the African soil.  This is one of a handful of books I have re-read in my entire life.  It's just so good.


37781


Two stories - one strong, tribal man named Okonkwo.  One story, a fall from grace.  The second, a clash of cultures.  Breathtaking narrative set in tribal Nigeria that will leave you utterly changed for the reading.


43015


Ishmael, now 25 years old, recounts the true circumstances of his youth, which he spent as a child soldier in Sierra Leone.  A gentle boy, Beah found at the age of thirteen he was capable of violence he never dreamed possible.  Beah's story is as heartwrenching as you think it will be, but it is also a story that needs to be told and needs to be heard.


Looking for more books set in Africa?  Check out my relevant Take Me Away Posts.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!