August 25, 2014

What I'm Reading Mondays



This week I added on a book to my reading list that is simply and purely just for the enjoyment of reading.  Every other book is an ARC or for a readalong, so it was refreshing to pick up a book of my choice and just read for THE FUN OF IT.  Ah. remember that?  I forgot about that.  Blissful.

I also finished two books, How to Build a Girl and But Enough About You, both good reads, and made good progress with all of my books.  I should have several completed next week as well.  I need to make time to review them now, too!


FINISHED READING THIS WEEK:


How to Build a Girl: A Novel by Cailin Moran
*For Review thanks to Harper and Edelweiss*
4.5 STARS
Last Week: 41-65%
This Week: 65-100% 
Pages Read: 124
Thoughts: Very enjoyable read- bitterly honest, clever, and laugh-out-loud funny.



But Enough About You: Essays by Christopher Buckley
*For Review via Edelweiss*
3 STARS
Last Week: 51-67%
This Week: 67-100%
Pages Read: 148
Thoughts: Clever and witty essay collection.  


CURRENTLY READING:
(check below this section for new books for the week)



People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
*For Lit Collective Book Club*
On pg. 202 of 372
Last Week: 23 pages
This Week: 72 pages
Thoughts: I'm fascinated by Hanna's chapters and story.  (Her MOM, though!)
The wine stain historical story bored me, but the saltwater story in Spain has me intrigued.



A Sudden Light by Garth Stein
*For Review via Edelweiss*
Last Week: 19-30%
This Week: 30-48%
Pages Read This Week:  58
Thoughts: It's a ghost story that isn't scary, just oddly fascinating and mysterious.
I look forward to where this is going.



The Lost by Sarah Beth Durst
*For Review*
Last Week:  36-50%
This Week: 50-73%
Pages Read This Week: 81
Thoughts: I'm almost afraid to finish this one because I have a very definitive viewpoint on how I think this should turn out!



Jane Austen's First Love by Syrie James
*For Review*
Last Week: 33-46%
This Week: 46-56%
Pages Read: 40
Thoughts: Still enjoying it, though there was a section with far too much rambling on about which friends and acquaintances she wanted to set up with which other friends and acquaintances.  



The Dark World by Cara Lynn Shultz
*For Review from Publisher and Net Galley*
Last Week: 21-38%
This Week: 38-60%
Pages Read: 83
Thoughts: Hmm...getting suspicious of someone I thought was on the side of good.  Twisty!  



A Map of Betrayal by Ha Jin
*For Review thanks to Edelweiss*
*For Travel the World Challenge*
Last Week: 0-11%
This Week: 11-20%
Pages Read: 28
Thoughts: I think there will be many layers to this tale.



Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
*For Project Gutenburg Project and The Classics Club*
Last Week: 0-14%
This Week: 14-24%
Pages Read: 15
Thoughts: First narrator was much better than the woman on this second chapter.  She read at the speed of lightning.  If I hadn't been following along on my Kindle, I would've been lost. Even reading quickly, she made 15 pages feel long.


NEW BOOKS ADDED THIS WEEK TO CURRENTLY READING:


Baby-Sitters Club Super Special #2 - Summer Vacation
*For the BSC Readalong*
Pg. 28 of 246
This Week: 28 pages
Thoughts: I like that this is told from multiple viewpoints, as was the Super Special #1, the favorite book of my pre-teen years.



The Office of Mercy by Ariel Djanikian
*Wanted a non-review book to read at my leisure*
This Week: 0-13%
Pages Read: 42
Thoughts: A dystopian, yes, but an interesting twist on the genre.  
Hoping it continues that way.



STATS:

Total Pages Read Last Week: 796
Total Pages Read THIS Week: 719

Books Reading for Review: 6
Books Reading for Readalongs/Challenges: 2
Books Reading for the Fun of It: 1

Total Books Currently Reading: 9
Total Books Read So Far This Year: 66




WHAT'S NEXT:







~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  
Share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!