August 11, 2014

What I'm Reading Monday


This week I read a TON (in fact, I think I set a new record in pages read, see below)
but I didn't finish a thing.

Maybe because I have an obsessive-compulsive "start another book" disorder.

Does anyone else suffer from this?

I need a support group.


FINISHED READING THIS WEEK:
(Subtitled: Oops, not this week.)


DNF:



Free Spirit: Growing Up on the Road and Off the Grid by Joshua Safran
*Thanks to Beth's Book Review for this book*
On Pg. 90 of 288
Last Week: 17 pages
This Week: 21 pages
Thoughts: I tried, I really tried.  How does Safran take a life as varied and interesting as his and make it boring, talking about every single event ad nauseam?  It's a special talent, I think. He may not have a third eye like his mother wanted, but he has an infallible ability to put me to sleep.  Full review later today.



CURRENTLY READING:
(check below this section for new books for the week)



But Enough About You: Essays by Christopher Buckley
*For Review via Edelweiss*
Last Week: 4-11%
This Week: 11-51%
Pages Read: 179
Thoughts: Most of the essays are fascinating and humorous.  I had to skip a couple I just couldn't muster interest in, but with 400 pages of short essays, I think needing to skip a few is not a big deal at all.



The Lost by Sarah Beth Durst
*For Review*
Last Week:  21-31%
This Week: 31- 36%
Pages Read: 17
Thoughts: At a slow part.  I got bored.
It will pick back up though.




How to Build a Girl: A Novel by Cailin Moran
*For Review thanks to Harper and Edelweiss*
Last Week: 6-12%
This Week: 12-41% 
Pages Read: 102
Thoughts: This book is FUNNY.  And clever.  
And deep while pretending to be shallow.
Johanna just might become a new favorite character.




The Seventh Cup by Nitesh Jain
*For Review thanks to the Author*
On pg. 55 of 312
Last Week: 9 pages
This Week: 46 pages
Thoughts: I got confused for a little while because it introduced a new narrator that did not seem to have anything to do with the rest of the story, but it is eventually revealed on page 54.  I'm with Andi.  This not telling me who is narrating trend books have now is getting old.  However, this Memory Transportation idea of Avinash's is kind of fascinating, as is the mystery of what happened to Verona.



Lies Told in Silence by M.K. Tod
*For Review for HFVT*
Last Week: 10-13%
This Week: 13-23% (Updated)
Pages Read: 35
Thoughts: I have not read many books about WWI, so I am finding that aspect fascinating.  I am also enjoying the various dynamics within the family.  Grandmere is my favorite character.



Jane Austen's First Love by Syrie James
*For Review*
Last Week: 0-17%
This Week: 17-33%
Pages Read: 64
Thoughts: Syrie James is an Austenesque genius.  That is all.



A Sudden Light by Garth Stein
*For Review via Edelweiss*
Last Week: 0-12%
This Week: 12-19%
Pages Read: 23 pages
Thoughts: What is UP?  Is there a ghost in the house?  Does his grandfather even HAVE dementia?  Is his dad ever going to stop being a douche?  What is the deal with his dad and aunt calling each other Brother Jones and Sister Serena?  It's creeptastic.



Jessi's Secret Language (BSC #16) by Ann M. Martin
*For BSC Readalong*
Pg. 70 of 160
Last Week: 22 pages
This Week: 48 pages
Thoughts: Makes me want to re-learn sign language!  It actually IS one of my New Year's goals.  I wonder if I kept my old textbook.


NEW BOOKS ADDED THIS WEEK TO CURRENTLY READING:


People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
*For Lit Collective Book Club*
On pg. 107 of 372
This Week: 107 pages
Thoughts: I had totally forgotten we were reading Geraldine Brooks this month.  I am now on the case!  And let me tell you, this book is page-turning AWESOME.



The Dark World by Cara Lynn Shultz
*For Review from Publisher and Net Galley*
This Week: 0-21%
Pages Read: 79
Thoughts: I realized I was reading a lot of the same type of books- historical fiction - and I wanted to add in a YA fantasy to switch things up.  This is so well-written, fast-paced, funny, witty, clever, and I devoured these 79 pages in one night.  A rarity for me.


STATS:

Total Pages Read Last Week: 442
Total Pages Read THIS Week: 721

Books Reading for Review: 8
Books Reading for the Fun of It: 2

Total Books Currently Reading: 9
Total Books Read So Far This Year: 62




WHAT'S NEXT:



   






~What are you reading right now?  
~What did you just finish?  
~What book are you looking forward to reading next?  
Share in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!