August 12, 2014

To Read or Not to Read? That is the Bookish Question.



Today, the Broke and the Bookish are asking us to talk about the books that we have been mulling over whether to read or not.  Here's my list.  Help me decide!


1. Landline by Rainbow Rowell


I have heard Rainbow Rowell was a great author, but Landline has gotten mixed reviews.  In fact, I have had two different people tell me I would hate the book.  Um....yea.  To read or not to read?


2. The Returned by Jason Mott


I was very excited when Sandie gave me this book, but then I watched Resurrection, which is the TV show based on the book and....I kind of don't like it at all.  Mostly I hate Omar Epps' character.  Is it just Omar Epps or is it a boring lead character in the book?  To read or not to read?


3. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson


I was very excited when this book first came out.  I had always admired people who are able to help those less fortunate.  But I have since heard some things about Mortenson that have not set well with me.  Such as, he is arrogant.  Such as, the book is bland and boring and tedious and contains unnecessary filler. So, what do you think, to read or not to read? 


4. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky


I've already tried to read this book.  Twice.  Once in college and once when I was in my late 20's.  I never get past the first third of the book.  It's long and full of Russian names, and places, and they all use all the letters of the alphabet.  I really want to read it because I think it has good ideas and a good plot, but, in the end, will it be worth my time?  To read or not to read?


5. Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky


This looks so good and I am all about this time period, so I am not sure why I have looked at it sitting on my shelf for 6 years.  What's my problem?  Should I just read it?  Or am I on to something putting it off?  To read or not to read?


6. I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb


This is a massive 900-page book.  Is it worth it?  Really?  To read or not to read?


7. House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III


I've heard this is a fantastic story, but it is slow.  And it's a chunkster.  Slow and chunkstery don't mix well for me as a rule.  What say you?  To read or not to read?


8. Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay


I've heard nothing but good stuff about Sarah's Key, and the plot looks interesting.  Yet, whenever I see it in the library, my reaction is something close to a shrug with a "Meh" thrown in for good measure.  I'm not sure why.  What do you think?  Is it a book I should reconsider?  To read or not to read?


9. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy


This book is a) long, and b) Russian and long.  (See #4.)  Plus, I wasn't impressed with the movie.  Is it worth reading just because it is a classic?  I don't know.  To read or not to read?


10. Liar by Justine Larbalestier


I remember the whole P.R. nightmare that was Liar's first cover - a Caucasian girl on the cover of a book about an African-American girl.  I don't really remember anyone's comments on how the story itself was, so...how was it?  To read or not to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!